Author Topic: Replacing a LS220DE with a new one, same RED disks  (Read 1700 times)

gus_inovacor

• Calf
Replacing a LS220DE with a new one, same RED disks
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:30:21 AM »
Hi,
I just bought a new LS220DE unit to replace an equal, defective unit; the ethernet port of the old unit is dead, so basically we want to replace the whole unit with this new LS220DE. We have two RED disks, originally formatted in XFS mode, not RAID, filled with valuable data. My main question is how can I install them without lose any data in the new LS220DE?
Thank you in advance!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Replacing a LS220DE with a new one, same RED disks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
If they were used in an LS220DE before, you should be able to just insert them and the unit will boot.

If not then you need to copy the data off. When you go through the initial setup of the LS220DE it will erase the drives.

You should have a backup of any important data anyway, so I'd recommend copying that data to a backup location in any case.

gus_inovacor

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »
Thank you for your quick answer,
Yes, both disk (one of them is used as a backup) were running just fine on the damaged LS220DE. After the failure, I tried to access them using a SATA-USB converter from Windows 7, the file explorer showed like a 7-8 different drive letters (like d:  e:  f:) but all of them were innaccesible from Windows. Later I understood the XFS partition canīt be accesed from Windows, so I bought a new LS220DE.

I have two questions:
- Do the old settings of the damaged LS220DE (like IP config, backup jobs, etc) reside in the disks? If so, Can I expect the new LS220DE to take the same settings from disks?
- When inserting the disks on the new LS220DE, Is there a chance they could be formatted automatically, without any warning, deleting all my data?

Regards

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
The Operating System for the device is stored on the Drives (in a separate partition from the data), if you plug the drives into a different device of the same model it should boot normally and will have all your settings and data available (assuming nothing is wrong with the drives/data).

Since the new device will have a different MAC address it will (and dhcp client name for that matter) it will most likely get a different IP address, unless you had it configured with a static IP address in which case it would continue to use that.

The device won't automatically reformat your drives as long as you just plug them in and turn the device on.

Basically as long as you don't do anything that would normally result in reformatting the disks (like using LSUpdater in debug mode) the device won't go out of it's way to do so.