Author Topic: lost password on WS-RVL :(  (Read 1361 times)

leopard

• Calf
lost password on WS-RVL :(
« on: August 06, 2021, 04:18:32 AM »
Hey, I installed this via iSCSI to camera server, we havnt use them in 3-4 years and now I had to take it to run again.

iSCSI founds it, but it doesnt seem to work well, I try to log in via remote desktop but I cant find its password

it has windows storage server 2008 r2 and I dont think we took any backups, as these were obsolete 3 years ago :(

Is that image available anywhere from buffalo (OEM, cant get it from MSDN)

*or* is it posible to install linux on that machine and iSCSI ?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: lost password on WS-RVL :(
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »
There's a custom Debian installer for these devices which makes installing linux fairly straightforward even without a monitor/keyboard attached:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations

You could then follow a guide for setting up iSCSI in Debian.

There are also tools out there for resetting Windows passwords from a linux boot disk which should work with this device. That could get you back in though it wouldn't address Windows Server 2008 being EOL.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:02:55 PM »
Did you try the default password of the admin account of "password"?

No harm in trying!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

leopard

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 11:20:15 PM »
There's a custom Debian installer for these devices which makes installing linux fairly straightforward even without a monitor/keyboard attached:

There are also tools out there for resetting Windows passwords from a linux boot disk which should work with this device. That could get you back in though it wouldn't address Windows Server 2008 being EOL.

oo, that sounds really promising, thanks for the tip ^^

Did you try the default password of the admin account of "password"?

No harm in trying!

Yes, sadly I had to admit I never actually changed it (closed network and you need to identify yourself before entering server room, so it seems to be safe enough). Now it doesn't work and main user tells he didn't change anything (Hmmm... im bit suspicious :)

leopard

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 01:18:19 PM »

that worked perfectly!
...and if someone drops there via google, it was: https://opensource.com/article/18/3/how-reset-windows-password-linux

But I got really interested that, because old system was w2k8, 3 HD disks were dead. and OS is anyway at End of Support...

Anyways.. as that goes trash now... what you think, could I install that debian and zoneminder and use it on home camera server? I think d510 with 2GB should be enought?

I tested and installed that debian... so far I got only fan speed working, but thank god... my ears bleed after I listened that vacuum cleaner 2 hours rights nex to me :D

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 03:50:07 PM »
Those rackmount Fans are the worst. I mean, great at moving air.....but that sound....ick

I would think it would be powerful enough for that sort of thing but it depends on the requirements.