Author Topic: Files locked and can't remove locked attribute on Linkstation LS-QVL with a Mac  (Read 6660 times)

eliot

• Calf

Hi there,

Just got my new LS-QV8.0TL/R5 a few days ago. It's turning out to be much harder to use than I expected.

The current problem I'm having that I'm hoping someone can help with is locked files that I can't unlock.

I have the current firmware, 1.56. 

The problem is affecting files that I transferred from an external USB drive to the Linkstation. Files that I transfer directly from my iMac over WiFi are not locked and I can rename and delete them once they're on the Linkstation normally. 

Further, the files on the external USB drive are not actually locked. If I plug the same USB drive into my iMac instead of to the Linkstation, the files are not locked and I can rename and delete them. When I plug the drive into the Linkstation however, the files appear locked (including when I navigate to the attached USB drive via WebAccess or via the mounted volume in Finder). Unsurprisingly, when I copy them (via WebAccess or Finder) onto the Linkstation itself, this does not change. 

Specifically, when I try to rename files in WebAccess, I get the message "No authority to write to the specified path", and the file is not renamed. When I navigate to the files in the Finder, clicking on them does not allow me to rename them. When I do "Get Info", the "Locked" checkbox is checked, and I can't uncheck it.

I tried removing the lock attribute with the chflags command in Terminal but got a "permission denied" error. 

Any ideas on how to remove the lock attribute from the files on the Linkstation, or to change some setting to prevent them from getting the lock setting in the first place? I don't mind re-copying all the data if I can get it to not be locked (I guess conceivably I have to format the array to get rid of the locked files if there's no way to remove the attribute).

Please let me know if I can provide further details. Thank you in advance!

eliot

• Calf

Sorry, I should have clarified, this is happening when any external USB drive is connected. I have several and this is affecting all of them. 

2 old Buffalo DriveStation HD-HS320U2s

Fantom GF1000EU

Eagle ET-CS1000NPSU2-BK

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

what file format are the USB HDD's? Probably HFS id imagine?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

eliot

• Calf
No, I got these before I had the iMac and had a PC instead so they're formatted in some combination of FAT32 and NTFS (possibly all NTFS, unfortunately unable to confirm right now as I'm away for the weekend). I realize I shouldn't expect the LS to be able to write to an NTFS drive, but why would reading from it cause this file locking issue?

Do I need to format the array on the LS to get rid of these locked files, and then re-copy them from my computer instead of from plugging the drive directly into the NAS? Would rather do that sooner than later if so so I don't waste a week moving several TB of data over only to have to do it all again.

Thanks for your help!

steveianson

• Calf

If the external usb device is ntfs then the drive is read only. You can only read or copy files from the external usb drive.

duke

• Tatanka

Try to restore factory defaults... It usually fixes access problems... on the downside, you lose all your configuration settings...

eliot

• Calf
I understand. The problem is that once I copy the files onto the NAS, they're still read-only, which doesn't seem right.

DuglasKrin

• Calf

LONG PATH TOOL
Do you have error messages?, like :
• Path too long
• Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk
• Cannot delete file: Access is denied
• There has been a sharing violation.
• Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.
• The source or destination file may be in use.
• The file is in use by another program or user.
• Error Deleting File or Folder
• Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
• Error Copying File or Folder.
• Cannot remove folder.
• The filename or extension is too long.
• Path too deep.
• Destination Path Too Long.
• Could not find this item.
• Filename is not valid.
• The file could not be accessed.
• The path you entered, is too long. Enter a shorter path.
• File Name could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename, and verify that the file location is correct.

Download LONG PATH Tool 3.6 at longpathtooldotcom

Tim_Hangton

• Calf
I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for error, unlock solution.
Try it and solve your problem.
I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.