Author Topic: Problem Joining Active Directory  (Read 2870 times)

fofsteve

• Calf
Problem Joining Active Directory
« on: September 11, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
Is anyone else still having issues joining their NAS to AD? I have TS5800D that was joined to AD but stopped working for some reason. I've been working with tech support via chat but not really getting anywhere.

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain
Time Zone and Time are the same on the NAS and the server
Netbios, DNS, Authentication Server, Admin Name, simple password with no special characters and no WINS server, all checked out and correct.

I get an error stating:

Participation in the Active Directory domain failed.
Check the settings of the Active Directory domain and check
the Administrator username and password.

Tech support asked to upload a log, when I did, one of my TeraStations has a bad drive in it, so they told me the problem is happening because of the bad drive. I uploaded the log from the second TeraStation, which I'm having the same issue with, there are no drive errors on that one. I am waiting to hear back from tech support on the second one.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. I am seriously stuck on this.

Thanks for your help!!!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Problem Joining Active Directory
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
Have you recently disabled SMB 1 on the DC?

fofsteve

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
No, I was going to but decided not to because we have too many Windows 7 workstations and did not want to have any issues with them. We plan on replacing all Windows 7 workstations by Q2 2020. At that point, we will disable SMBv1,

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
Tech support will probably be able to help with this. Also, I'd double check your SMB 1 status. It's possible that a Windows update turned it off without letting you know. Windows 7 supports SMB 2 and above so it shouldn't affect their ability to access the servers.

In Windows PowerShell enter this command:

get-smbserverconfiguration

In the output check the "EnableSMB1Protocol" setting. If it's set to "False" then that's the reason the TS5800 can't authenticate against the DC. It uses SMB1 to access the AD administrative share in order to pull a list a of users and groups from the DC.

To enable SMB1 run the following command:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true

fofsteve

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »
Thanks for the input. SMBv1 is definitely enabled.

The latest from tech support is that since my domain is multi-level, xx.example.com and not example.com it's an advanced configuration that is not supported.

I have advised tech support that it worked in the past and that I believe the problem started after the last firmware update. I asked if there is a way to revert back to the previous firmware. The email support system is too slow. It seems they only respond to questions once a day. In the meantime I've been working on this issue for several weeks now.