Author Topic: External HDD file transfer to LS220DE  (Read 3745 times)

camulus

• Calf
External HDD file transfer to LS220DE
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:39:23 AM »
Hi,
I am about to start using my new NAS drive as a doorstop!

What I want is very simple; I want to connect a DNLA compliant drive to my AV receiver in order to play music.
I have an external HDD with about 1.2Tb of music on it however, this cannot be read by the AV system.
My plan is to connect the external HDD to my LS220DE via usb, transfer the files over and then connect this to the AV receiver via usb.
The problem is that the NAS does not recognise the drive half the time and when it does I cannot transfer any files!

I have tried connecting the NAS directly to the PC via ethernet (no recognition), the HDD to the NAS via usb (sometimes it can "see" it sometimes it cannot) but I cannot transfer files.

I have tried the backup routine but that does not work.

Surely what I want isn't so outlandish that this piece of kit can't do it?

I was hoping for a routine that was useable in the way windows transfers files?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: External HDD file transfer to LS220DE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »
The LS220DE cannot be connected to the AV receiver via USB at all. Did you mean via Ethernet? Does your receiver have an Ethernet port?

The LS220DE is a NAS. The best way to move files to it is over the network. I'd suggest connecting the USB drive to a computer and copying the files to the LS220 via the network.

This will only work if your receiver has an Ethernet port and can function as a DLNA client.

camulus

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:28:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply, obviously I was looking at this wrong - I thought, once loaded with files, I could use the NAS as a media server plugged directly into the AV receiver as it and the receiver are DLNA compliant.

I use Yamaha MusicCast to control speakers in different rooms and have now configured it to show the LS on the source area. I transferred a couple of albums via usb stick and they show and play from the NAS with no problem, which is what I wanted.

One more question - how do I transfer files over the network? I don't seem able to drag and drop them with explorer and double clicking on the LS just brings up 'Twonky' which shows the albums but not the drive.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »
I would suggest installing NAS Navigator to assist in managing the LinkStation. It sounds like you're double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer where it shows as a media server. Instead just type \\<ip address> in the navigation bar for Windows Explorer. This should show the default shared folder, "Share". You can open that and transfer files using drag and drop.

camulus

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
Thanks, I've been using NAS Navigator but cannot manage to '"drag 'n drop" anything.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
If you double-click on the LinkStation in NAS Navigator it should open Windows explorer and show the shared folder.

camulus

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 04:13:52 AM »
Nope, double click in Navigator and nothing happens?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
That's unusual. What if you click the icon for the LinkStation and hit the "Browse" button?

If you right-click the LinkStation icon in NAS Navigator and choose "Settings" it should open a web browser with the management UI for the LinkStation. Make sure it has a shared folder set up.

camulus

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 05:40:24 AM »
Hi again,

if I click on the icon and then browse nothing happens.

In advanced settings it shows a folder titled Share.

mh1983

• Tatanka

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »
In the settings for the LinkStation go to advanced settings. On the first page (File Sharing) click the icon to the right of "SMB" and make sure that SMB 2 is enabled.

camulus

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 05:02:53 PM »
Many thanks mate, that seems to have sorted it!

I had SMB set to ON but had to go deeper and check SMB2 as you said.

Can see folders and have tentatively copied a few and appears to be working.

Had an issue with Win10 Network Credentials but just put in a password for admin rights and it seems okay now.

Again many thanks.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
Happy to be of help.