Author Topic: Could Not Map Share. Create a folder named "share" before mapping the drive.  (Read 9390 times)

bnthomason

• Calf
Hello. I'm receiving this error message when trying to map share.

I have done the following:

Double Checked if "Client for Windows Networking" and "File and Printer Sharing for Windows" were both enabled for BOTH Ethernet and Wireless (per
rrelande instructions)
Enabled the windows feature known as SMB1
Renew the IP address of the TeraStation
Check to see if SMB is enabled on the drive.
Recreate the folder name "Share" on the drive many times (also tried share1).
Read the limited number of threads containing this problem (albeit, not finding any resolutions)

I am pulling my hair out. I litterally don't want to flash the drive, I will lose all my important files.

Where do I get buffalo tech support?

Also, is there another way to access and transfer my files between my drives other than the NAS navigator?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
What model is the TeraStation? Can you browse to the shared folder?

bnthomason

• Calf
What model is the TeraStation? Can you browse to the shared folder?

TS3410DAF8

No, as I said, I cannot map the shared folder. Thus, I cannot browse to it. I need to map it first before browsing to it, to my knowledge.

Clicking browse does nothing.

doobre

• Tatanka
same problem here.. I also sent the same message to the old thread..

Help plzz.. the get the same error "could not map share, create a folder named "share".. blah blah blah... problem here on win 7 PC and an  LS220D21E Nas..
No problems at all with the same win7 pc and an LS-WXL Nas...

Yes, SMB2 is enabled on LS220D
win 7 doesn't have a SMB1 option like win 10.

ideas anyone!!
user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
You can browse to a share without mapping it. Do you have NAS Navigator installed? Does NAS Navigator see the NAS? If you double click on the NAS in NAS Navigator it should show the available shared folders. You can then double click on the shared folder in question and browse the contents. If NAS Navigator doesn't see the NAS then you have a network problem. This unit supports SMB versions through 3.1.1, so this is NOT a problem with SMB 1.

Also, assuming you're in North America, you can get to Buffalo Technical Support by following the instructions here: https://www.buffalotech.com/support
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:56:34 AM by Texturtle »