Author Topic: How to retrieve data from Dead LinkStation LS-WTGL/R1, LS-W2, Pro Duo  (Read 2266 times)

john_h

• Calf
I have a LS-W2 and today's power outage must have fried something (even though it was plugged into what I thought was a good surge protector).

How does one go about getting the data off of the 2 disks inside the Linkstation?
They look like Hitachi SATA 3.5"

Of course I do not remember what type of RAID I set this up with either...  I think it was the one that gave me the most space (3TB?).

I looked for another LS-W2 at a store (I was going to buy one and swap in these disks instead), but it looks like these LS-W2's are long gone and not made any longer.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:06:00 AM by john_h »

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: How to retrieve data from Dead LinkStation LS-W2
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:42:08 AM »
try the UFSExplorer

What is LS-W2?
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page

john_h

• Calf
Re: How to retrieve data from Dead LinkStation LS-W2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
Thanks.  I am checking out UFS Explorer right now.  I believe I can remove my 2 DVD drives from my old desktop, and plug in these two from LinkStation Pro Duo (LS-WTGL/R1)

Thanks for the wiki page!  I see that the model number is really LS-WTGL/R1.  The 2 must refer to 2TB storage.  I will change the heading.

The Link Station Pro Duo was at NewEgg  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165106
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165106

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:04:56 AM by john_h »

john_h

• Calf
Quick update:
I am using  UFS Explorer "RAID" version and all is good!

I disconnected 2 DVD drives from my desktop to free up 2 SATA connections.  I then pulled my 2 1TB Hitachi drives from the dead LinkStation Pro Duo and connected these to my desktop (now I have 3 total drives in my desktop).

I first tried the UFS Explorer "Standard" version, and it showed some of the drive but none of the data I wanted.  I was stating to become very depressed at this point....  The software said I had to build the RAID (had to determine which drive was #1 vs #2).   Ugh...

So, I just tried the UFS Explorer "RAID" version and BINGO!  The software figured everything out on its own in ~5 seconds.  Wow!  I was able to bring over some small files (trial version only allows small files), so I then bought the full version for $100.   

Now with the full UFS Explorer RAID version, I am able to copy all my files from my 2 Buffalo Drives to any computer drive (or my portable SSD drives) with ease!
Using the RAD version is very intuitive.  The software does all the hard work for you.  I did not even need to read the manual with the RAID version - whew!

Best $100 I have spent in a long time... Now onto finding another NAS...

@oxygen8 - Thanks for your help !