Author Topic: Terastation TS-XE8.0TL/R5 missing trays/caddies  (Read 3217 times)

mh1983

• Tatanka
Terastation TS-XE8.0TL/R5 missing trays/caddies
« on: June 20, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »
Hi all,

First post. Recently got interested in a NAS for a DLNA type server. Picked up a Terastation TS-XE8.0TL/R5 on the cheap on Ebay -- main caveat being that it was untested and it's missing drive caddies. Indeed, the device had the missing firmware error when I booted it up, but after some research on these forums and a great Reddit how to post, I managed to do get the TFTP client to serve the initial firmware files, so at least the flashing lights/jarring beeps have stopped. Unfortunately, I only have one hard drive and I read that all 4 slots need to be filled for the firmware upgrade to go through, so I ordered 3 more small ones on the cheap to get through this last step. (The whole project has been a test in patience!)

While I wait, I wanted to ask about the caddy/tray bit. All 4 caddies are missing, though my one hard drive seemed to be detected just fine when I added it to a slot/lined it up with the connectors. I imagine the caddies secure the connection and make it easier to swap out drives, but are they a must-have? If yes, is there anywhere that I could obtain these parts or are there third party equivalents I could use? (A search on Ebay came up empty, and I unsurprisingly seem to be outside of the warranty period.)

Help appreciated, and am grateful for the help I was able to mine to date that got me this far. Thanks!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Terastation TS-XE8.0TL/R5 missing trays/caddies
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
What country are you located in?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mh1983

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
Hi Davo, I live in Canada.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
Dang, i know EU support would send trays but not outside of the region. I'm not sure if US support do the same tbh.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mh1983

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, not sure about US support; when I entered my serial number, it said my warranty period had passed and I haven't been able to find any support number, email, ticket system, etc.

mh1983

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
Is it reasonable to assume the Terastation will work okay without the caddies, so long as the hard drives are all connected correctly and I don't move the device?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
I would say so. Once the connectors are bent in any way, I'd assume you could fashion your own caddy/support.

mh1983

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
Thanks. I managed to contact Buffalo US customer support and they didn't turn me away. However, they don't offer any spare parts any more.

I'll try to make do without them, but if anyone has any leads, would appreciate a PM!

Last question for now: Do I have to use the same model of drive in each bay or can I mix and match, so long as they're SATA? Thanks again!

red73mustang

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 11:02:11 PM »
I too picked up 2 of these when cleaning out my Data Center and they're both missing the drive caddies.  Maybe I can find a "universal" type caddy and load them up with 1 and 2 TB drives.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
That type of tray was used in a bunch of devices any of which could serve as a replacement. They’re easy to recognize by the pattern on the front. The tray for the ts1400, ts3000 and would also work.

The older ones for the Terastation II won’t work, neither will the ts3010/ts5010

I once, briefly stacked some drives with wideish screws on the bottom and tabs of tape on the back to pull them out as an alternative to trays. It sort of works but is a terrible idea.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Hmm, if you put in the serial number, OutOfWarranty support email is now an option, and we will totally sell you one, or 5 or however many I have floating around back here. Whomever told the previous guy that we don't sell them was mistaken. We'll sell you anything I have in my lab that you might need. I just can't guarantee I have everything (the old 3 and 4 pin power supplies come to mind).

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

red73mustang

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »
Thanks Eastmarch, I have 2 Terastation TS-XE8.0TL/R5s with serial # and missing drive caddies.  What's the Out of Warranty email address and how much  do they cost?

Regards, Chet

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:36 AM »
Go here https://www.buffalotech.com/support and put in your serial number, it will give you all the contacts.