Author Topic: Active Directory (Terastation III)  (Read 4538 times)

VCS

• Calf
Active Directory (Terastation III)
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

We have just bought a Terastation III (TSX40TLR5) and we seem to be having trouble connecting it to active directory. 

The time is correct.

It is on the same switch and Vlan and our AD server

Our AD server is our DNS server

The terastation is on the same subnet and it's DNS ip is the AD server.

Our active directory/dns is running on a 2003 R2 server.

I am using a user that has domain admin rights.

So we enter the info. 

Our "pre windows 2000" name (netbios name) is VALDEZCC (we have migrated it from one of our older servers so the naming convetions is a bit off (does that matter though?))

Our Active Directory Domain name is valdez.cc 

Our domain contriolers name is VCS-HS-DC (thats our main one and then we got 2 replications of it in our diffrent buildings...its the only one on this subnet)

I enter in the info for a user that has doman admin rights.

Then I set the WINS server ip to 10.0.10.10 ((that's the ip of VCS-HS-DC) I have tried it with and without this (reseting the buffalo to factory defaults each time before doing it) I dont think we have a WINS server)

however, after pressing "save" and waiting for the saving data.....

it still shows im in the old workgroup and there is no info in the users/groups area

(ps i do not get any errors. it is not untill i look at the sys log do i see something)

----sys log------

Jun 30 12:39:09 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] SMB status was changed 

Jun 30 12:39:09 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.domain=ad 

Jun 30 12:39:09 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.wg=VALDZCC 

Jun 30 12:39:09 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.ad_dns=valdez.cc 

Jun 30 12:39:09 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.pdc=VCS-HS-DC 

Jun 30 12:39:09 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.wins=10.0.10.10 

Jun 30 12:39:12 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Trying to join domain... 

Jun 30 12:39:20 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Failed to join domain 

----end sys log----

the strange thing is that it adds a computer object to my active directory named HS-file-server.  so it fails to join the domain but still adds the computer? and i get no error on screen and no expanation in the system log?

now if i change the netbios name on the buffalo to something more normal VALDEZ (even though the AD server says its valdezcc) 

it connects but i do not get any users... or even a tab in the users/groups for it... am i doing something wronge here?

------sys log--------

Jun 30 14:18:11 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] SMB status was changed 

Jun 30 14:18:11 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.domain=ad 

Jun 30 14:18:11 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.wg=VALDEZ 

Jun 30 14:18:11 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.ad_dns=valdez.cc 

Jun 30 14:18:11 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.pdc=VCS-HS-DC 

Jun 30 14:18:11 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.wins=10.0.10.10 

Jun 30 14:18:14 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Trying to join domain... 

Jun 30 14:18:22 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Successed to join domain 

------end sys log-------

however, it still dose not work.

the only way it has wored is with the workgroup and the "Delegate Authority to External SMB Server" + "Use Windows Domain Controller as Authentication Server" + "Automatic User Registration" marked.  however, i do not want to have to log on the 600+ students (less then 1000)

--------sys log---------

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] SMB status was changed

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.domain=off 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.wg=test

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.pdc=VCS-HS-DC 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server TeraStation[3196]: [Web] Change value : info.wins=10.0.10.10 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server root[3196]: [Web] Authentication status was changed

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.domain=server 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.auth_server=10.0.10.10 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.auth_dc_server=on 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.auth_user_auto_add=on 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.auth_test= 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.auth_test_folder= 

Jun 30 11:59:59 HS-file-server [Web] Change value [3196]: info.auth_local_auth=on 

---------------end sys log------------------

please any help on how or why i am not getting a list or tab in groups/users of my users would be great (i have left it with the VALDEZ as the netbios name for  over 12 hours (hopping it was updating or something) and it did nothing)

just for a test i used VAL for my netbios name (we have never used val for any thing on our network) and it succesfully joined the domain...

--------sys log-------

Jun 30 14:27:23 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] SMB status was changed

Jun 30 14:27:23 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.domain=ad 

Jun 30 14:27:23 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.wg=val 

Jun 30 14:27:23 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.ad_dns=valdez.cc

Jun 30 14:27:23 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.pdc=VCS-HS-DC 

Jun 30 14:27:23 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Change value : info.wins=10.0.10.10

Jun 30 14:27:29 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Trying to join domain...

Jun 30 14:27:30 HS-file-server TeraStation[21842]: [Web] Successed to join domain 

-------end sys log---------

Message Edited by VCS on 06-30-2009 05:54 PM

VCS

• Calf
Re: Active Directory (Terastation III)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »

just tried upgrading firmware from 1.00 to 1.02 and it had no effect.   (still connects with VALDEZ, however there is still only local users/local groups.) going to up grade to 1.04 and hope that works

Message Edited by VCS on 06-30-2009 08:34 PM

iwang

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »

Hi there,

I got identic problem as yours even i had upgrade firmwire become to 1.10!!!!! my domain is Window 2000 native with W2k3 DC + WINS

Many ways had tried. [disable domain gpo, domain controller policy, etc, etc]

Recently just bought Terastation III TS-XL/2 TB.

Prior TS III,  I got a linkstation Pro 1TB and it very straight forward when joining domain with just one click.

So then I very confidence to get TS III but unfortunatelly still stuck until now.

I'm start thinking to remove it into a trashbin :((

Hope Buffalo tech may advise for a solution on this issue.

Rgds.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 02:23:15 AM »

Make sure that you GMT is set correctly.  Go here to dble check. (wwp.greenwichmeantime.com) If that unit isnt within 5min of the domian controller you will have a whole world or problems trying to pull the users and groups.  If the GMT is set correctly then run through these steps to make sure.

Does your domain controller require Digitally Signed SMB Packets? On Windows 2003 Server these policies are enabled by default.  They need to be set to 'Disable', not 'Enable', or 'Not Defined'.  If not I would initialize the unit and set it back up.  Make sure the settings are correct:

Configuring the Buffalo Nas for Active Directory:

• A computer account with the name    of the Buffalo NAS needs to be created on the domain. It needs to be    configured so that a pre-2000 machine can use this account.

• In "IP Address Properties"    under "Network", the DNS server address needs to be set to    the Domain Controller's address.

• The clock on the Buffalo needs    to be set to the same timezone as the Domain Controller and the    times need to be with in 5 minutes of each other.

• The "Workgroup/Domain"    page under "Network" needs to be set to the following    settings - If ever a field is too short to enter the full    information (particularly the Domain Name and the Domain Controller    fields) they need to be filled in as much as possible:

Workgroup and Domain Properties:

• Network Type: "Active Directory"

• Active Directory Domain Name (NetBIOS Name): NETBIOS Legacy    Domain name, ex. "DOMAIN"

• Active Directory Domain Name (DNS/Realm Name): Full Domain    name, ex. "domain.com"

• Active Directory Domain controller Name: Domain Controller    name, ex. "server"

• AD Administrator Name & AD Administrator Password: The    user name and password of an account with administration privileges    so the Buffalo can properly be added to the network. This    information will not be stored.

• WINS Server IP Address: IP    address of the WINS server (if not using WINS, enter domain    controller's IP address)

MTDBoss

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »

Has anyone made any progress on this. I am having the same problem on 4TB and 8TB units of Terastation III. Same settings I used to have on Terastation II with no issues.

MB

ckidd

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »

We just installed a Terastation III RX8.0TL/R5 (Rack mount 8TB)

I updated to Firmware: v1.30 today.

I have both Server 2003 and Server 2008 R2 domain controllers.  I've extended the schema to add 2008 but have not decommissioned the last 2003 DC.

I am experiencing the exact same scenario as described in the original post.  I am unable to use Active Directory as an authentication method unless I change the Active Directory Netbios name.  If I set Netbios to the actual name, the join fails. 

In our domain the Netbios name does not match the beginning of the DNS name. (Netbios = FCC; DNS = FCCVV.LOCAL)   I have now set the Netbios name to match the first part of DNS name, FCVV, and the join appears to complete successfully.  I am able to use Domain Groups for authentication but not Domain users. Based on the original post it appears the Netbios name could be totally random but I have not tested it.

I have searched the KB, Forums and Google with no solution.  I have followed detailed steps found in the KB on joining AD but it always fails.  The only way the Terastation joins the domain is to use a different Netbios Domain name. We also have a Terastation II,TS-RHTGL/R5 firmware 1.33, and it joins the domain with no problems.

I don't really expect a solution here other than to wait for the next firmware. I did want to report that using a Netbios name that does not match your domain appears to give access to the Domain Groups.

HTH

thx1138

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »

Strangely, I had to match my DNS name and netbios name, even though the netbios name of the domain is different than the first part of the FQDN.  This gave me access to groups but not users.  I'm really starting regret buying this product, it has been nothing but trouble thus far. 

seymog

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »

Strangly enough I nad to put my domain name in both boxes ie:

DOMAIN NAME: bbc.co.uk

NETBIOS NAME: bbc.co.uk

Even though my NETBIOS name is different.

I am also having problems seeing individual users although I can see and use groups?????