Author Topic: Terastation TS-RXL Encrypt/Decrypt  (Read 1940 times)

microtek

• Calf
Terastation TS-RXL Encrypt/Decrypt
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:16:44 AM »
Hello Buffalo Team,

we are going to format the hard drives encrypting with the 128 bit AES built-in Terastation function.

Reading the user manual, it seems that the crypt key is hardware based, meaning the drive cannot be decrypted outside that unit.

So, how can we recover all data if Terastation (not the disks) is damaged?

Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Terastation TS-RXL Encrypt/Decrypt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:22:09 AM »
Have a backup!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

microtek

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:34:23 AM »
Hi davo,

backup is always a choice, but doesn't seem TS-RXL encryption design a single point of failure?

Right now, we are using an unencrypted RAID 5 with 4 Hard Drives (XFS): if one of the drives fails, we can recover data on the array by replacing the damaged drive.
Even if the Terastation dies (not the disks), we are still enable to recover all the data.

With the same RAID configuration, but in encrypted mode, if TS-RXL dies we loose everything, because the AES key is not exportable.
Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »
You're correct, if you have encryption enabled and if the housing dies then the data is gone, so going, yet another reason why you should always have a backup.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!