Author Topic: Frequent disconnects on my LS-WVLB9c after updating firmware from 1.71 to 1.74  (Read 4120 times)

The_Hat

• Calf
Has anyone else experienced a problem with the Firmware 1.74 update. My LS-WVLB9c enclosure with Firmware 1.71 attached to a Windows 7 64-bit Operating System was running fine with no problems when I started receiving a message that a newer firmware was available. After downloading and installing Firmware 1.74 the Linkstation frequently disconnects without notice, sometimes when it's being accessed, and there is no error message to support the disconnect. When I go into the NAS Navigator it shows nothing except "searching for TeraStations and LinkStations on the network. Sometimes it will take several searches and up to 5 minutes before it finally once again shows my LS-WVLB9c on the network. Several times it has corrupted files I was working on at the time when the disconnect occurred.

Does anyone know what could be causing the frequent disconnects?

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Do you use DLNA.
Disable automatic scanning.

The_Hat

• Calf
Do you use DLNA.
Disable automatic scanning.

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about DLNA or how to disable automatic scanning. Since I haven't made any other changes to my system other than upgrading the firmware on my LS-WVLB9c how would I find out if DLNA is in use and how to turn disable automatic scanning. Conceptually I understand what you're saying however I freely admit to my ignorance on the terms.

I would appreciate it if you could sort of explain to me how to determine the results of your question and action. Thanks

BTW I use a wired network.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:32:32 AM by The_Hat »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
I could have a look at the log for you, I haven't come across any issues with the 1.74 firmware since I updated my LS-WVL.

Log to the admin page, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+b, save the file and send it to me in a PM, not publiclly on this thread! You will need to use dropbox or google drive etc and PM me the link
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

The_Hat

• Calf
I could have a look at the log for you, I haven't come across any issues with the 1.74 firmware since I updated my LS-WVL.

Log to the admin page, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+b, save the file and send it to me in a PM, not publiclly on this thread! You will need to use dropbox or google drive etc and PM me the link

I've been doing some research since my earlier post to learn about DLNA and the answer is "No" I'm not using DLNA. I also do not believe it's the firmware although I could be wrong based on what I discovered during my research.

During my research I found a case similar to mine where the person was getting disconnects on a TeraStation and it was suggested the person move the power switch from "Auto" to "On". Based on that suggestion I moved my power switch from "Auto" to "On" and I haven't had any disconnects since I made the adjustment.

By making that move and stopping the frequent disconnects does that mean the problem is in the LS-WVLB9c hardware. The problem I see is instead of the LinkStation turning off automatically when the computer is turned off I must remember to turn the switch to Off when I shutdown. The reverse will be true when I power up.

oxygen8

• El Toro
The Hardware is good.
The nas is missing the wol packages

maybe the new fw needs more packages then the old fw
you can reflash the old fw with debugoption "do not check version"

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
I had a quick look at the log, there isn't any hardware error on the Linkstation at all, a simple reset should fix the issue. System - Restore/Erase - Restore Linkstation.

It doesn't affect the data but make sure you have a backup just in case.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

The_Hat

• Calf
I had a quick look at the log, there isn't any hardware error on the Linkstation at all, a simple reset should fix the issue. System - Restore/Erase - Restore Linkstation.

Thanks davo for looking at the log. I will be tied up today and tomorrow and I will do the reset over the weekend.

The_Hat

• Calf

My delay in getting back to you has been I didn't have a USB hard drive with enough available space to backup the LS-WVL. This was corrected yesterday when I purchased a new USB hard drive and connected it to the LinkStation however I have not been able to successfully complete a backup.

Every time I run a backup when I check to see how it's going it says "Error" in the Status column but I can't find the backup log file anywhere on the Backup source.

Also I've been trying to find a way to access the USB Hard Drive connected to the LS-WVL but I haven't found a way to accomplish that task.

Any help you can give me to accomplish the backup so I can reset the LS-WVL would be greatly appreciated.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
What file format is the USB HDD?

oxygen8

• El Toro
Do not use the USB HDD on the nas.
The USB port is to copy from usb to the internal hdd.

connect the backup hdd to a pc and copy your network folders to the usb hdd

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

Sorry but this is simply not true at all.

It is fine to use a USB HDD to backup the Linkstation and there is a built in feature for this but the USB HDD has to be the correct format, if it's NTFS then it won't work.

Format the USB HDD to XFS or FAT32 on the admin page of the Linkstation and see how you get on.

The_Hat

• Calf
What file format is the USB HDD?

I formatted it using the NAS to EXT3. Also I used the suggested format spelled out on this page http://en.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10348/p/31,33

When I purchased the USB HDD it was formatted as exFAT which I understand is a newer version of FAT32. I reformatted the USB HDD to EXT3 because of the suggestion in the Buffalo Knowledge Base article and just in case I would needed to connect it to my Windows 7 computer to read it. I know you suggested I format the drive to FAT32 but what would happen if I reformatted it back to exFAT. Would the LinkStation be able to read and write to it? 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:00:29 PM by The_Hat »

The_Hat

• Calf

Sorry but this is simply not true at all.

It is fine to use a USB HDD to backup the LinkStation and there is a built in feature for this but the USB HDD has to be the correct format, if it's NTFS then it won't work.

Format the USB HDD to XFS or FAT32 on the admin page of the LinkStation and see how you get on.

Formatted the USB HDD to FAT32 and tried to run a backup again however the "Error" status showed up again. This time I was able to get into the USB HDD even though it is attached to the LinkStation but there was no backup file on the disk.