Author Topic: Emergency Mode LS-WX2.0TL/R1-R Won't Load Firmware  (Read 6523 times)

Gary_C

• Calf
Emergency Mode LS-WX2.0TL/R1-R Won't Load Firmware
« on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
I recently had my LinkStation LS-WXL-EM496 give me the Emergency Mode error in the NAS Navigator. I followed other suggestions about loading firmware with the Updater V 1.74 (which identifies the device) with no success. The error message is "No response for LS-WXL-EF496. Please check you network settings. The LS-WXL-EM496 and your computer should be on the same subnet. Temporarily disable any firewalls and try again."
IP address for the Linkstation is 169.254.112.173/255.255.255.0
IP address for the    computer is 169.254.112.151/255.255.255.0
Firewall is disabled

Any other suggestions?

If I send the Linkstation back to Buffalo can they force a firmware update?

I have used this device as a backup to another NAS that is failing so I am in a pickle. I am trying to recover both of them.

Thanks

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: Emergency Mode LS-WX2.0TL/R1-R Won't Load Firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »

this is no router dhcp-IP

connect pc and nas to one router with dhcp and try again

Gary_C

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »
Do I need wired connections on the same router? And not go through any switches? They are on the same subnet. I have a cable modem, two routers, and 2 switches in my network. The updater finds the Linkstation but won't update.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:22:13 AM »
switch and 2 router are ok
only one dhcp server should be enabled

Gary_C

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »
I finally got it to load. I hard wired both devices into the same switch. Only one router has DHCP enabled. But the IP on the NAS is fixed. Navigator 2 will sometimes ask to change the IP address but it can't be changed. I can't access it directly by IP address either. So I changed the IP of the notebook to be on the same subnet.

Having done that. The update seemed to go ok but when the Updater rebooted the NAS, it timed out and the NAS was never found. As it stands now, NAS Navigator 2 (on my Windows 10 notebood) does not find the device and the LinkStation Updater doesn't find any LinkStations that need to be updeaed. So the device is no longer found. NAS Navigator 2 does see the device briefly when it is run on my Windows 7 desktop and the Emergency Mode is no longer displayed but it still can't change the IP address and I can't access it by IP address (it times out). Furthermore, the NAS powers down after a few minutes and switching power off and back on doesn't wake it up. I have to disconnect the power cord before it will reboot. Still, neither Navigator nor Updater see it.

Thinking that I might need to reinstall, I tried to run LSNavi from the Link Navigator for LS-WXL Series Ver 2.0.0 install disk but it is not compatible with Windows 10 and I can't find a Windows 10 compatible version on the website. NasNavi runs on the Windows 10 machine but only because it was installed under windows 7. Is there a later version?

I have a second LS-WX2.0TL/R1-1 which is still in the box. What is the likelihood that I can configure that one and swap out the drives?

Gary_C

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »
Connected second LS-WX, configured it, then swapped drives with drives from the first LS-WX. It read the old drives and I have my data. It sounds like the drive enclosure is bad. Can I get it repaired?