Author Topic: Where can I get firmware v2.14 for my HS-DHTGL/R5?  (Read 4972 times)

cwebster

• Calf
Where can I get firmware v2.14 for my HS-DHTGL/R5?
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
I have a Buffalo Terastation HS-DHTGL/R5 with current firmware v1.10. It has 4 500GB drives, 3 of which have been showing increasing number of bad sectors.

Questions:

1. Where can I get the latest firmware for this Terastation? After searching the forums it looks like the latest is 2.14 but I can't find a way to download it from the web site. The search box that appears for discontinued products http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/support/downloads/?subaction=download-archive&no_cache=1 just returns an error.
Code: [Select]
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Apache/2.4.27 Server at m42s20-7-32db.domainfactory.de Port 80

2. Can I upgrade to 4 1TB SATA drives? I have begun seeing an increasing number of disk errors on 3 of my 4 500GB drives.  I read where another owner of the HS-DHTGL/R5 was advised to use a max of 1TB size drives due to power requirements. I'm fine with 1TB but I'm not sure if the older firmware will support it. I've just placed and order for 3 Samsung HD502IJ (500GB) disks to replace the failing ones but I may just cancel and use 4 new Western Digital WD10EZEX drives instead.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: Where can I get firmware v2.14 for my HS-DHTGL/R5?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
Do not use WD Blue drives on NAS.
Maybe he have the Load Cycle Bug like the WD Green.
Use WD RED

Your old nas can only use 512 Byte per sector drives.

All actual drives uses 4096 Bytes per sector.
there are drives with 512 byte emulation.

WD10EZEX uses Advanced Format (4096) maybe with 512 emulation
https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771436.pdf

FW 2.14
http://www.buffalo-technology.de/download_file.php?r=3888

i recommend you to bye a used LS-QVL or LS441
This nas can use every SATA-drive available

cwebster

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:14:39 AM »
Do not use WD Blue drives on NAS.
Maybe he have the Load Cycle Bug like the WD Green.
Use WD RED

Your old nas can only use 512 Byte per sector drives.

All actual drives uses 4096 Bytes per sector.
there are drives with 512 byte emulation.

WD10EZEX uses Advanced Format (4096) maybe with 512 emulation
https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771436.pdf

FW 2.14
http://www.buffalo-technology.de/download_file.php?r=3888

i recommend you to bye a used LS-QVL or LS441
This nas can use every SATA-drive available

Thank you very much for the link to the firmware update.

Thank you for the tip about the potential bug in WD blue and green drives too. Your link to the Western Digital site prompted me to do some more research before ordering disk upgrades. I remember reading a warning about power consumption in another forum thread and in the User Manual. I downloaded the spec sheet for the WD Red drives to check parameters on other drives available.

The WD Blue WD10EZEX also draws way too much power (2.5A). The WD Red WD10EFRX peak power is only 1.2A. That should be a lot closer to the original drives.

Your help is gratefully appreciated.

--Cal

cwebster

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:04:32 AM »
My TeraStation Live HS-DHTGL/R5 came with four 500GB drives. According to the "Disk Information" page on the web interface, these are Samsung model HD501LJ drives (465.76 GB ea.). So I went to the Samsung web site and downloaded the spec sheet. These drives have 12V spin-up requirement of 2.4A.

The TeraStation Live HS-DHTGL/R5 User Manual says on page 83 not to use replacement drives with a specified current load that exceeds 0.92A at 5 VDC and 0.9A at 12 VDC. This has to be a mis-print because the drives they supplied with the unit require 2.4A and they've been working fine until now.

I decided to compare specs between the original Samsung HD501LJ drive with Western Digital drives. The newer WD Red 1TB WD10EFRX and 2TB WD20EFRX both fall well below the power requirements of the original drive.

Excerpts from spec sheets:
Code: [Select]
Western Digital Samsung
Power Management
WD20EFRX WD10EFRX HD501LJ
12VDC ±10% (A, peak) 1.73 1.20 2.4
5VDC ±10% (A, peak) - -

Average power requirements (W)
WD20EFRX WD10EFRX HD501LJ
Read/Write 4.1 3.3 8.0
Idle 2.7 2.3 8.2
Standby/Sleep 0.4 0.4 0.7/1.2

In light of this new information I plan on replacing my old, failing 500GB drives with the WD Red 2TB WD20EFRX.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »

cwebster

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »
no

one positiv example
http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=5062.0

Thanks for following up.

I did see that thread when searching the forums before. That's where I got the idea for checking power requirements. The forum administrator seemed to be saying that there wouldn't be enough power for 2 TB drives. They should not have tied the upgrade size of the drive to the power requirements. Power specs of available drives change over time. The question was about the maximum storage capacity of the RAID, presumably to upgrade it. The XFS filesystem size limit in the 2.4 kernel is 16TB for 4k pages and 64 TB for 16k pages. The TeraStation Live electrical system was designed to support at least the 4 drives that came with it. So, any drives that require less power can be used regardless of size up to the limit of the filesystem. That's my thinking anyway...

--Cal