Author Topic: LS441D: Definitive YES/NO answer for possible Linux Debian instead of stock FW?  (Read 13690 times)

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Instead of right-clicking and selecting “save as”, click on each link and use the “download” button on the page. This will allow you to get the files instead of just downloading the page html.

laksjan

• Calf
Hello,
I download the new images and uploaded into the LS and still got the 6 RED blinks in the start. After pressing the FUNC button, the LS is not accessible at all.. Rolled back to the stock firmware again...

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
I need more detail about what you're doing to know where things are going wrong.

starting from stock sounds like a good idea, that way you can load the files the way you did originally.

laksjan

• Calf
Hello, sorry if I had confused you.. Here are the steps followed:
  • Stable on the stock firmware with RAID 0 setup
  • Downloaded your image files(Not save as, download and the file size looks reasonable)
  • From a linux box, copied the files to the /boot folder, renamed the old stock firmware as stock.**
  • Renamed your images to *.buffalo
  • Typed "sync" and "exit" out of ssh
  • Rebooted the LS using acp_commander
  • After, reboot, I see 6 RED flashing lights on the status indicator. Not operational even after pressing the "FUNC" button and can't reach the NAS.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
Gotcha, It might mean the installer is too big for that device's boot loader. I've only tested it on the lsxl/lschlv2 (I don't have a working ls-wtgl), those are both kirkwood devices and are more forgiving than the older orion5x series.

that actually gives me an idea. I'll let you know when I have a new image to try.

laksjan

• Calf
Sure, please do and I will try...

QQ, Would you be able to create an image with the dpkg or apt-get on a stock firmware? or, let me know how I can get these installed in the existing NAS? If we have these, we can upgrade to any debain full version?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
There was a process that did that several years ago but it hasn't worked properly since about Debian 7 or 8 (Buster is Debian 10). I believe the person who developed it was the one who created the installer process to replace it.

For reference:
https://github.com/rogers0/OpenLinkstation

I've updated the process to generate smaller archives and confirmed it would boot on the LS-GL which O believe has similar size limits to the ls-gl. The new files are up on the site (now for Stretch and Buster ). Let me know if that works better for you.

bbotts

• Calf
I'm in the process of writing everything up and making the process as simple and reliable as possible. I setup a GitHub page to house everything, feel free to give it a try:

https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo
Thanks for putting this together. I need to rebuild my NAS (LS441D) and was hoping to find something exactly like this. I'll be working on it late next week, after I get my new drives.