Author Topic: Linkstation Duo; Disk or NAS Problem  (Read 2660 times)

Coys55

• Calf
Linkstation Duo; Disk or NAS Problem
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:13:05 AM »
I have a Buffalo LS-WXL Linkstation Duo with two 3TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

From the Storage screen, Disk 1 in Array 1 is showing "Error".
If I select the disk all of the options are greyed out (check disk, format disk, remove disk, rediscover disk).
If I select "RAID Array" and click on "Rebuild RAID Array" it will work for several hours attempting to rebuild the array and then at some time or other the rebuild will fail and the NAS shuts down and needs to be power cycled, at which point disk 1 is showing "Error" again.
I have removed the drive and connected it to my desktop. It spins up and I have removed the partitions and then inserted it back into the NAS and tried to rebuild the array again, with the same result.

So, could the issue be a failing disk OR a problem with the NAS unit itself?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Linkstation Duo; Disk or NAS Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:52:04 AM »
It's a failed disk. Just replace it and rebuild the RAID once more.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Coys55

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:02:06 AM »
It's a failed disk. Just replace it and rebuild the RAID once more.

You're pretty sure that it can't be the NAS board then? FWIW the disk is a Seagate ST300DM001, which I believe was a bit of a disatrous model for failures (just Google it). TBH I'd feel more confident if it failed completely rather than working for a while.

Just out of interest, what would happen if I swapped the drives (or at least disk 2 on its own) around? Would disk 2 still retain its data if I put it into slot 1 or would it corrupt the RAID array?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
More than likely it would corrupt the array. With the errors you have outlined there is no reason to believe it is more than a disk issue and given the age of the unit, it wouldn't be considered unusual.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Coys55

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
More than likely it would corrupt the array. With the errors you have outlined there is no reason to believe it is more than a disk issue and given the age of the unit, it wouldn't be considered unusual.

Thanks for the advice. I suspected that moving disk 2 would corrupt the array, but thought it was worth checking. I'll order a new disk and report back once it's installed.

Coys55

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 02:09:52 AM »
New disk installed and array rebuilt. Thanks for the advice davo.