Author Topic: Linkstation to Linkstation Migration  (Read 1916 times)

ejay81

• Calf
Linkstation to Linkstation Migration
« on: January 30, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »
Hello,

I just bought a new 4TB Linkstation LS210D.  This is replacing an old 1TB Linkstaiton Live.   I see the new model i have has a feature called "Direct Import" which allows me to use the usb port on it to import data directly from an external USB drive.  My question is will this feature work to copy data directly from my old 1TB linkstation that I'm replacing?   If so whats the best means to do this?  Is there also a way to export my current config and import it to my new linksation without having to reconfigure everything?

Looking for guidance on how to migrate to this new buffalo link station quickly and easily.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Linkstation to Linkstation Migration
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »
I don't believe the LinkStation Live will double as an external USB drive, so importing that way won't work. You may be able to set up a backup from the original LinkStation to the new one and let it move the data that way.

ejay81

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:40:26 PM »
Sorry to clarify the new device is a Buffalo Personal Cloud Storage 4TB device.  It does have a direct Copy feature where you can hit a blue button on the back to import data from an external drive.   I don't know if this will work with a linkstation device that the data is currently on though.

ejay81

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »
Ok read your post again, sounds like you don't think my new buffalo personal cloud NAS device will see the linkstation live on the USB port.

If anyone happens to run across this I'm looking for the fastest means to migrate that data.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure that setting up a backup job and letting it run will work just fine, and you don't have to babysit it.