Author Topic: What is the Process to replace a broke hard drive in Terastation live ????  (Read 2238 times)

miogpsrocks

• Calf
What is the process to replace a bad hard drive in an  Terastation live ?

My unit is beeping like crazy and said HD4 error so I think hard drive 4 has failed.

Do I just unplug the unit, replace the HD4 then start it back up?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:03:02 AM by miogpsrocks »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Power off - replace disk - power on - log onto admin page - Disk Management - RAID Setup - Array1 - Select Disk4 - Restructure RAID - Wait 24 hours.

It shouldn't affect the data but make sure you have a backup.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:41:49 AM by davo »
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
I think Davo meant to say that it SHOULDN"T affect the data. But do make sure you have a backup.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
I think Davo meant to say that it SHOULDN"T affect the data. But do make sure you have a backup.

Indeed, editted the post now :-b
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

miogpsrocks

• Calf
backup the data before rebuilding the array?

That will probably take at least 48 hours.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:00:29 AM by miogpsrocks »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
So? This device is over 10 yrs old, do you not have a backup anyways?

miogpsrocks

• Calf
So? This device is over 10 yrs old, do you not have a backup anyways?

I thought the raid is the backup. At least if only 1 hard drive fails.

I do have some backup of my pictures and documents but not all the random stuff on there.

Transfer speed for the type of items on here being small files for some reason takes days and days of slow transfer.
Its a real long process to backup the stuff.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
RAID is designed for high availability. It's not really a good substitute for a good backup. RAID arrays can (and do) fail.

Consider that all the drives in your RAID array are probably about the same age with about the same number of hours on them. A RAID rebuild puts additional strain on the drives (every sector has to be read so that the parity calculation can be performed to determine what the missing data should be). It is entirely possible that the process of the rebuild could cause a second drive to fail which would cause the array to fail. This is true for any RAID array.