Author Topic: Linkstation Live HS-DH500GL Beeping  (Read 10444 times)

lklive

• Calf
Linkstation Live HS-DH500GL Beeping
« on: June 26, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »

Soon after I turn on the LinkStation Live, it powers off and it just starts to beep constantly (beep beep beep...) till I push the power button, then the beeping stops. After I restart the Linkstation it doesn't beep right away. So basically when the device is restarted, there is a 5 to 10 minute time period before it starts beeping again. 

For the short period of time that it is on, I can access the drive from my Macbook and I can see the files and folders but it is extremely slow to load. I never got to actually opening any files, it shutdown and started beeping again.

Also, I noticed that the fan has not been working. I cleaned up the fan but it still doesn't seem to work. 

I have a lot of important data on the drive which I don't have a backup of. So I opened up my Linstation box and pulled out the drive and inserted it into an external SATA enclosure. The MAC detects the drive (shows 4 disks) but is unable to mount it. Is there a way I can mount this drive?

What is the partition type on this disk? As far as I can tell it is a Linux Native partition (hda?). Will Ubuntu be able to read from this disk? 

I am using MAC OS X 10.5.7. 

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to access the data off of this drive. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

lklive

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live HS-DH500GL Beeping
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »

I have an update to this issue. 

I tried to read data from this hard drive using a Ubuntu boot disk. Ubuntu detects the 4 partitions but was able to mount only one partition. It was unable to mount the main XFS partition which is approximately 465GB. When I try to mount this partition it gives the 'mount: /dev/sdb6: can't read superblock' error. 

I also tried updating the firmware to the latest one using a Windows PC but it did not work. Everything kept freezing and soon the unit would power off with a beeping sound.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can recover data from this hard drive. 

albywebb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »

Hello

Did you ever get this problem resolved, as I am having the same issue.  The drive turns its self off and beeps.  There are no flashing lights on the unit.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »
If the drive powers down shortly after you power it on the problem is most likely the power supply.

scientia

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:48:32 PM »

I too have the same problem with a new HS-DH500GL.  It's only been in service for about 2 weeks and this has started.  I got this one to replace a failing LS-500GL that started with the same problems.  The LS-500GL has digressed into running as long as I don't access it.  I tried to set up a 200GB backup job from the HS to the LS and the LS lasted about 8GB and shutdown. (with the incessant beeping and no error messages)

This is starting to feel like a typical issue where these NAS' are designed for home use by 1 user to fill up about 1% of the capacity and access it once a week.

Hopefully your units are in warranty so you can get them replaced and then get em up on Craigslist so you can get a decent product from another company.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »

scientia wrote:

I too have the same problem with a new HS-DH500GL.  It's only been in service for about 2 weeks and this has started.  I got this one to replace a failing LS-500GL that started with the same problems.  The LS-500GL has digressed into running as long as I don't access it.  I tried to set up a 200GB backup job from the HS to the LS and the LS lasted about 8GB and shutdown. (with the incessant beeping and no error messages)

This is starting to feel like a typical issue where these NAS' are designed for home use by 1 user to fill up about 1% of the capacity and access it once a week.

Hopefully your units are in warranty so you can get them replaced and then get em up on Craigslist so you can get a decent product from another company.

Have you done anything to actually solve the problem or are you just another person that wants to bitch about something but do nothing to try and resolve the issue. I've seen this before and it happened to one of my HS-DHGL's. Turns out the unit was overheating because of a lack of airflow but i also suspected it may be a power issue.
I changed the location to one with good air flow and also changed the power cable. Hasn't happened to me since.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »

If anyone is suffering from equipment failure all the time with their servers, the perhaps like Davo had mentioned, it may be some external causes that is causing your station to die frequently.  If you do not fix your environment, then you will not be able to operate trouble free.

The problem I see with people who has a NAS is they treat it as a computer piece.  It is not.  Like any server, a NAS is required to be on almost all the time which means it needs better airflow than usual, especially for those models that use forced convection.  Another problem with NAS is that when it is on all the time, it needs clean power.  Would you put "dirty"gas into your nice Mercedes Benz(edited by admin)?  These are simple questions, and yet people with NAS either buy a surge protector hoping it protects it.  What good is a surge protector when studies had shown that in North American, the wall outlet power is unclean!  I also see people being cheap and bought a cheap UPS that somehow provides clean power.  Some UPS models are designed to provide noise supression which is good for audio/video equipment but do nothing for your server.  You need AVR (Auto Voltage Regulation) that provide smooth sine wave output to protect you from brownouts.  Not all UPS/AVR capable towers do this and are built the same either.  Some people cheap out and bought a $30 APC UPS block thinking that's good enough.  Guess what, do you think a $30 device can protect your precious data?  If you buy a $30 or even a $100 UPS/AVR, you simply treat your data as being worth $100.  So don't go blaming people around saying that it's not my fault for the system to fail.  Buffalo, Netgear, Synology, Cisco, Dlink, etc are have their share of problematic users when it comes to drive failures and power supply failures, both can be attributed to power irregularities. 

If you are facing this issue, then perhaps it's time for you to buy a good UPS system.  The mid-end to high-end of the Tripp Lite and APC both make good UPS/AVR.  If you value your data, pay more.  In the UPS/AVR, you will always get what you paid for.

stearmy

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »

I have a Buffalo HD-PV500U2 external hard drive which I have had for approx 1 year now, recently i was using it when my laptop lost connection to the drive, it then started beeping so i tried re-connecting and it worked again until i moved the drive and then it started beeping again and lost connection again. I fiddled about with cable and it gained connection again. Could it be a problem with the cable rather than the drive itself. Would it make this beep if it was only a cable fault?? When it is not beeping i can still access files on the drive but as soon as beep starts i lose connection and have to re-connect. It beeps everytime the drive or cable is moved ??? Please Help??