Author Topic: TS-XEL/R5 maximum drive size-Anyone replace theirs with larger than 2TB drives?  (Read 2902 times)

JMRiggle

• Calf
I just added a TS1400D 16 TB unit to my home network, and I'm moving my files from my old TX-XEL/R5 drive to it.

My old TS-XEL has 4 x 2 TB drives in it now.  The specs from Buffalo say the 2 TB was the largest drive that it can support.

Has anyone replaced these with a larger drives?  I'd like to replace them with 6 TB or even 8 TB or 10 TB drives NAS drives. 

Current firmware is 1.66, but I'm going to upgrade to latest firemware after I move my files over.

Can this old TS-XEL handle it?  Has anyone replaced their drives with larger drives?

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Largest drives they shipped with was a 3TB, which means that it can read a GPT partitioned drive.

Putting a 10TB drive in that old girl may be possible, but it certainly hasn't been tested. Back up your data, delete the array, and replace one of the drives to see if it recognizes.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

miogpsrocks

• Calf
Largest drives they shipped with was a 3TB, which means that it can read a GPT partitioned drive.

Putting a 10TB drive in that old girl may be possible, but it certainly hasn't been tested. Back up your data, delete the array, and replace one of the drives to see if it recognizes.

DID IT WORK??????

Did you put the 10TB in the old girl?