Author Topic: LS441D data recovery help - firmware formatted the drives  (Read 1438 times)

volksman88

• Calf
LS441D data recovery help - firmware formatted the drives
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:26:36 PM »
I know this is a common issue and I have read quite a few of the different threads about data loss. I haven't really seen a lot in terms of data recovery so I was hoping someone could offer advice on recovering my lost data. My wife will kill me if I don't get these family pictures back.

Here is what happened: The NAS was indicating there was a firmware update. I started it through the web interface and then left to do something. I didn't make it back in until the following day to discover the box in Emergency Mode. Evidently the firmware tanked. I was able to do download and run the firmware from my computer which worked. However, after it came back up it was acting like a brand new device. I had to change the admin password etc. After getting in it showed four folders and labeled them "recovered" but they are empty. I have tried a variety of different things to recover the files without success. Does anyone have any suggestions on software I can use or steps to follow that may generate a better result? The drives are all good. I should also mention it was setup originally as Raid 5.

I am super frustrated that a firmware update would nuke the system. I was thinking that a raid 5 config would offer some measure of security. I realize my error in that thinking now. Once I get done trying to recover data and start using this NAS again I will be backing the data up to another drive. I am pleading with the community to help save my skin from an angry wife.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: LS441D data recovery help - firmware formatted the drives
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
If you need your date by 4 new harddisks and make clones of your old disks.
Then try to start the clones as raid 5 with mdadm
or use UFSEXPLORER