Author Topic: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - LMCLCHG no longer working  (Read 5124 times)

heyscotg

• Calf
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - LMCLCHG no longer working
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
I have several Windows 10 PCs that were connecting to my TeraStation Pro 2.0TGL/R5 just find with the LMCLCHG 113 patcher, but with the last update, Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update, they now says that SMB1 isn't even installed anymore:
You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher.

There are several resource links to PowerShell commands, but I'm leery of messing up my security.

Is there a new version of the patcher, or has anyone resolved this without compromising their security?

Here are the links:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. SUPPORT HAS LEFT A LOYAL OWNER HANGING...AGAIN. :-(

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - LMCLCHG no longer working
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. SUPPORT HAS LEFT A LOYAL OWNER HANGING...AGAIN. :-(

You mean support on your over 10 year old device? Yeah, not surprised!

Just reenable SMB1 on the PC at your own risk, but there are major security risks with this, Microsoft disabled it for good reason.

The second link you posted shows you how to do it.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »
Yep, Windows is at last turning SMB1 off on new installs.

Any TeraStation from the current Generation or the previous generation supports SMB2, and the current supports SMB3.

The system is no more or less secure than it was before the update. It's just now, Windows will refuse to negotiate an SMB1 connection by default. There are currently no known exploits, but they will likely use this as a reason to simply stop patching it if one is found.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

heyscotg

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
Thanks Eastmarch. Good explanation.
And Davo, once upon a time, anything that worked flawlessly for ten years would be considered a rock-solid investment.
I love my terastation pro and have never needed to buy anything else.
My comment refers to the fact that other NAS and RAID manufacturers release firmware that applies across devices. Even the first-generation ones.
Just wish Buffalo would. That's all.

Grandad

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
I got round the SMB1 issue on my old Linkstations by using FTP.  Essentially you log into your Linbkstation and enable FTP in services and enable FTP for the share.  Then in Windows Explorer enter ftp:\\ipaddress\sharename\ and it should list the folders as usual.  You then pin this to the Quick Access.  Access is slow at first as the share content is transferred but then is OK. The detail on this is available in the Buffalo manual and search for FTP in Explorer on the net.

Fingers crossed for proper solution.