Author Topic: Replacement drive for LinkStation Duo NAS (LS-WXL/R1)  (Read 2210 times)

logon2

• Calf
Replacement drive for LinkStation Duo NAS (LS-WXL/R1)
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
One of the drives has failed in my LinkStation Duo NAS (LS-WXL/R1), containing 2 HDDs, configured for RAID 1.

Are there recommendations for the type of replacement drive? Does the speed matter?

The current capacity shows as 931.5 GB; I think the drives are 1TB.

As disk prices keep falling, Can I replace it with a new HDD of higher capacity? I suspect that the capacity of the NAS will not change at this point.

If I later replace the smaller drive with one with the higher capacity, can I then reconfigure the NAS to the higher capacity?

Thank you!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Replacement drive for LinkStation Duo NAS (LS-WXL/R1)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
Any 1TB SATA drive should work fine in this unit. Most new drives are likely to be at least as fast as what was originally shipped in this NAS.

You can use a larger drive, but as you suspect it will not increase the capacity of the unit.

If you later replaced the the other drive with a larger one as well, it would be possible to use all the space BUT it would require that you delete the existing RAID 1 (along with all the data that's on it) and create a new, larger RAID 1 with the larger drives.