Author Topic: Life Span of Buffalo 1.0 TB Plug-and-Play External Hard Drive  (Read 1587 times)

VickiB

• Calf
Life Span of Buffalo 1.0 TB Plug-and-Play External Hard Drive
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
I have need an answer for the above.  When you store important items on an external hard drive, it would be nice to know how long the hard drive will last if it is taken care of properly.  Is it months or years?  Please answer.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Life Span of Buffalo 1.0 TB Plug-and-Play External Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »
A HDD can last 1 day or 20 years, it's impossible to say.

Always make sure you have a backup.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Life Span of Buffalo 1.0 TB Plug-and-Play External Hard Drive
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »
Hard drive failures have historically followed what we call a "bathtub curve". In other words they typically have a high (greater than 5%) early life failure rate that tapers off quickly to a very low (less than 1%) failure rate that sustains for 4-5 years and then begins trending back up. Personally I've seen some hard drives fail within the first few weeks of use while others lasted far longer than expected, into range of 7-8 years.

Occasionally a drive manufacturer will produce a specific model (or sometimes just a particular manufacturing lot) that has a much higher than expected field failure rate. I have seen this from every vendor, it's not limited to a specific manufacturer. If you hear someone say "I"ll never buy another (Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, etc.) drive again!" it's usually because they had an experience with one of these models.

Overall hard drive failures tend to be pretty low. Buffalo doesn't manufacturer hard drives, so when you buy a USB drive from Buffalo the actual drive inside the enclosure will be manufactured by WD, Seagate, Toshiba, or some other HDD manufacturer. Don't drop it or subject it to extreme operating temps and it will likely outlast the warranty. That being said, never keep your data in only one location. Always have a backup! Hardware does fail.