Author Topic: There Is Not Enough Space - WHY NO ANSWERS ON THIS?  (Read 3823 times)

WisconsinWildcat

• Calf
There Is Not Enough Space - WHY NO ANSWERS ON THIS?
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »
Looking through the forum, this question goes unanswered over and over and over again!  There are a lot of us on different configurations, models, etc that are running into this problem.

Some get only so far along and then they can't copy any more to their disk. I had mine full, deleted half of it, and now can't even add a folder!

I have an LS220D 4T that is only 54% full.  I have removed the recycle bin feature, I have updated all the users and groups and folders to allow all access possible as far as I can tell, and still nothing.

HOW DO WE RECOVER THIS SPACE??!  Please!  And of course this conveniently happens after the 90 day warranty is up so you can't get access to the engineers to help you with it. Grrrr!

WW

mjrgroup

• Calf
Re: There Is Not Enough Space - WHY NO ANSWERS ON THIS?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 01:23:03 AM »
Couple of things to ponder and look into....

First, on my Linkstation LS441d, when files are deleted they go to a folder called Trashed. I know you said in your post that you disabled the recycle bin feature, but there might be still be a resident trash folder that deleted files are accumlating in.

Second, there's an older piece of software called StepTree (my favorite) and another software called Windirstat. Both will scan your drive, folder, network share, or whatever in your file system hierarchy you select and visualize it in 3d chunks. It's an incredibly useful way to see what's taking up all the space.

Third, and this is pure speculation, maybe there is something wrong with your software, fs, storage controller or even hard drives, that is preventing data from being marked as deleted....maybe it's storing and not deleting. If you have no data on the array, you could try removing individual hard drives and testing them. That way you can rule out hardware.

Fourth, try upgrading your device firmware to the latest. The issues you describe might be a bug from an older version.

Fifth, if the option exists, try formatting or creating your partitions using a different file system (xfs vs ext, for example).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:25:59 AM by mjrgroup »

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Recycle bin seems most likely.

It's also possible that you have many, many, many small files that take up under 4k, but since cluster size is 4k, it has to take up that amount of space at a minimum. This is less likely but possible.

You should be able to reach out to support via email / chat for the life of the warranty. Just put your serial number into the site to get the link.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

WisconsinWildcat

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »
Thanks, I am well out of warranty. I'll give all these suggestions a shot. I appreciate the help!

WisconsinWildcat

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »
mjrgroup: when you said StepTree, did you mean TreeSize Free?   StepTree is a wireframe tool.

Very odd. I've used TreeSize forever and found it accurate, but this time is says I have over 52 terabytes?  That's magical for a 4 TB LinkStation.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:56:10 AM by WisconsinWildcat »

WisconsinWildcat

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
After all that searching with WinDirStat and TreeSize Free, no recycle bins to be found.