Author Topic: Time Machine not seeing LinkStation Pro LS-VL on Mac - OS X High Sierra 10.13.1  (Read 2979 times)

ariusvideo

• Calf
I have a LinkStation Pro LS-VL 2 TB NAS that I have been using for years as a Time Machine Backup Device.  I recently purchased a MacBook Pro (2017) and immediately updated to Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.1 . After configuring the computer I attempted to run a first time Time Machine backup but the Time Machine software is not recognizing my LinkStation Pro NAS.  I can mount the NAS onto my desktop, copy files to and from the drive and open/play files directly from the NAS on the MacBook Pro in question with no issues what-so-ever.  However, Time Machine does not see the drive (while mounted) as a backup disk when "Opening Time Machine Preferences" and "Selecting Backup Disk".

I have an older MacBook Pro currently running Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13 and an iMac running Mac OS X Yosemite, and Time Machine on BOTH of these devices can see the NAS and backup to it with no issues at all.  It is only with the (new) computer running 10.13.1 that Time Machine is having difficulty recognizing. 

I've attempted to contact Apple and they've essentially said "not their problem".  So posting here to see if anyone else (also running Mac OS X 10.13.1) may have encountered this issue with a similar Buffalo NAS device or if anyone with a similar configuration is able to run Time Machine backups (on the exact same OS version) with no issues.

I'm currently running the latest Firmware update available for the NAS:
Firmware version:

Any insight is appreciated.

Mr.Red.Forman

• Calf
I too am having a problem with Buffalo NAS LS441D vs. MAC OS 10.13 and have become very frustrated.  Apparently Apple has pushed security updates without and warning, other than you nee to install security updates.  I hate that and have become disenfranchised this type of model.

My problem is with NAS Navigator2.  One day it worked and the next day nope.  I got a message that stated NAS Navigator2 was not optimized with MAC OS... that's it.  Period. Basically they said Buffalo has not kept there software or firmware current.  Frankly I'm not sure how they can with the type of changes Apple makes. Just to get this out of my System APPLE MAC OS MANAGEMENT S.U.C.K.S - - they really do.  I also have a PC running Windows 10 and having issues connecting to the Buffalo NAS LS441 as well.  Their response is Device Firmware upgrade.  Microsoft OS MANAGEMENT S.U.C.K.S also.  OK now I am done. It's out of my system.

I have no fix yet.  I suspect you issue is the same.  Buffalo NAS firmware requires updating to fix the new security fixes applied by both Apple and Microsoft.  I have updated to the most current available. LS441D (Buffalo_NAS) Version 1.84-0.01 and nothing has been resolved.  I also have Buffalo NAS Navigator2 software problem.  For now I am using the browser to connect to my NAS via its IP.

I could also use help if anyone has figure this out. 

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
I have not the LS441 and can not look at the webif.

Can you enable SMB2 ?

When not

Enable SMB1 on your PCs

Windows 10:
Point 3 from
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/mit-windows-10-auf-ein-nas-zugreifen-t2736.html

Mr.Red.Forman

• Calf
Interesting.  My model is LS441D as well and the only way today I can manage the NAS is via my browser.  It likely you have done this already, but verify your IP, then simply type that IP into the Browser URL.  The web Interface also looks much NAS Navigator2.

Yes to the SMB2 question.  It's enabled.  I can turn on or off.

A few good links maybe what you are looking for.  These guys are turning off but use to turn on.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/22215/etc-nsmb-conf-changes-in-macos-10-12-sierra

Last thank you for the link.  I'll need to translate however.

Mr.Red.Forman

• Calf
The following fix my inability to login to my NAS using windows version 10.

At last I found the cause of my problem, during a Windows Refresh some Windows features were turned off, make sure this is enabled:-

Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows Features On or Off and make sure SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is ticked

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
you do not need SMB1 if you can enable SMB2 on the nas