Author Topic: Buffalo TeraStation TS5400R Hard Drive Capacity Support  (Read 131 times)

mjrgroup

• Calf
Buffalo TeraStation TS5400R Hard Drive Capacity Support
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:45:58 am »
I just purchased a TS5400R 4-drive TeraStation without hard drives and will be purchasing 4 hard drives to populate the NAS unit.

Looking at the specs it appears that the original unit was sold with only up to 4TB capacity drives yielding a 16TB total effective capacity.

However, I'm wondering, with the latest Buffalo firmware updates for the device, if the TS5400R will support up to 8TB hard drives.

I was able to find on the Buffalo Asia website, a list of supported hard drives with the unit and a HGST 8TB SATA drives was listed as being supported. Will the TS5400R be able to recognize 8TB hard drives and offer an effective total storage capacity of 8 x 4 = 32TB?

Link to Buffalo Asia site listing hard drives reported to be compatible with the TS5400R: http://www.buffalo-asia.com/support/compatibility/2625/

Thanks in advance

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Buffalo TeraStation TS5400R Hard Drive Capacity Support
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:12 am »
I've used it with 8TB disks, works fine. Both Seagate and WD.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / LSRecovery.exe file.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:03:57 am »
You will need the bootable USB recovery image in order to get the OS onto the unit. It's available for download here: http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/terastation-5000n-series

Please take note and follow the steps in the readme carefully.

mjrgroup

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:21:34 am »
Thanks Davo and texturtle.

Texturtle, if I am able to flash the latest firmware onto the device first, or if it already has the latest firmware on it...do I still need the bootable USB recovery tool?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:23 am »
The unit stores the OS on the drives, there is not really any "firmware" on the system board.

mjrgroup

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:14:29 am »
Thanks again Texturtle.

Not to change topics, but I have two other quick questions about the TS5400R unit, which I hope no one minds me asking here.

First: RAM Capacity and ECC (UDIMM and/or RDIMM etc) support?

I recently opened up the lid to the unit to clean out dust and check the condition of the fans and components and noticed the 2GB DDR3 SO-DIMM chip on the mainboard.

Does anyone know if that chip is an ECC chip? If not, would the mainboard support an unbuffered ECC DDR3 SO-DIMM chip? Regardless, what is the maximum capacity allowed?

If I have an opportunity to install a higher capacity, unbuffered ECC SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM chip, that would be absolutely awesome.

Because I'm installing four 8TB hard drives, at least in theory, higher capacity memory would most likely suit the larger array.

Second: Sector Size and Advanced Format (AF) 4kn Drives

Is there a way, when creating logical volumes/RAID partitions, to specify the sector size that the NAS/fs uses for the drives? My main issue is with 512e drives, which are actually 4kn AF drives, but logically report to the controller, a 512b sector size for compatibility reasons. When file systems interact with AF 4kn drives with 512b sector sizes, the drives introduce a performance penalty that could be avoided by forcing the use of 4kn sector sizes to begin with.

Is there a way to force the TS5400R NAS to use AF 4kn sector sizes?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:00:15 am by mjrgroup »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:36:27 am »
Technically speaking the RAM is not upgradable, it also voids the warranty.

Personally, I've upgraded mine from 2GB to 4GB without issues, the board is limited to 4GB AFAIK.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / LSRecovery.exe file.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:53:21 am »
The system does not support ECC RAM.

As far as forcing a different sector size, I'm not sure the system can force a drive to change the way it reports itself.