Author Topic: Please help  (Read 3338 times)

chrisyeamo

• Calf
Please help
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Just got the LS220D0602 6TB  (fantastic bit of kit) but really having a hard time setting it up...allow me to explain my requirements.

Folder 1 - To be accessed by me via Mac with R/W permissions
Folder 2 - To be accessed by my partner via Windows with R/W permissions
Folder 3 - To be accessed by a family member via the web access app with R/W permissions.

I'm the admin and need to have R/W permissions to all three folders. My partner and family member need to have R/W permissions to their own folders only, and should not be able to able to view or access anyone elses folder apart from their own.

Is this possible and if so, do I need to create more than one share? I've tried creating multiple shares with each users name on the end, but windows will not map the drive unless it's just called "share".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did have a good look around for posts relating to this but could not find anything suitable

Thanks

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Please help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »
You will need to create separate shares. Windows should be able to map any share that you have access to. You just have to set up access restrictions on each share. Follow the steps here: http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/configuring-access-restrictions-on-a-buffalo-linkstation

Create a user for each person and assign restrictions for each shared folder based on the user names.

chrisyeamo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Thanks for your reply Texturtle,

From a visual aspect, how do I differentiate between the three shares if they are all called "share"? Obviously one share will be mapped to my partner, one share will be mapped to another family member, and one share mapped to me..... but I will have access to all three? Without clicking in each one, how will I know which one contains my files?

Thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply Texturtle,

From a visual aspect, how do I differentiate between the three shares if they are all called "share"? Obviously one share will be mapped to my partner, one share will be mapped to another family member, and one share mapped to me..... but I will have access to all three? Without clicking in each one, how will I know which one contains my files?

Thanks

You will have to call each share a different name. "Share" is just a generic reference for a network folder name, but in reality they are called whatever you want.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

chrisyeamo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »
Thanks!

I've created three shares successfully. Having a few issues with permissions and credentials though....

Folder 1 - admin - accessible only by admin - works fine
Folder 2 - User A - should only be accessible by User A and admin - yet User B can also access with their username/password
Folder 3 - User B - should only be accessible by User B and admin - yet User A can also access with their username/password

I've checked User A/B permissions and everything looks ok, they have R/W permissions on their individual folders and restricted permissions on the others, yet they can still still access each others folders with their username/password? They are assigned to the "general user" group also, not admin or anything

Any ideas? I'm going round in circles.

Thanks

chrisyeamo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »
Just had another go at this, when I change permissions config in File Sharing\Folder Setup it changes the permissions config in File Sharing\Users\Edit and vice versa?

If I want to map a network drive in windows and enter username and password for that user's folder, do i need to configure folder setup or users?

Totally confused now, been at this since Tuesday going round and round, no closer to a resolution.

Any thoughts?

chrisyeamo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
Bump!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
it's easiest to configure access restrictions on the share itself, at least for me.

chrisyeamo

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
I won’t be able to do that though will I? As I’m trying to arrange access via Mac, Windows and the iPhone WebAccess app.

If I use the WebAccess app as an example, I’ve set the user as i’m Logged on as “no access” to any folders. Yet I can read/write every folder.

Any ideas?

chrisyeamo

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 03:20:41 AM »
Bump!

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
Provide a screenshot of permissions set, either to us here or to the support team in email support.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**