Author Topic: Model TS5410DN1604 memory upgrade  (Read 1623 times)

Butters

• Calf
Model TS5410DN1604 memory upgrade
« on: October 22, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
Greetings,

For the following model: "TS5410DN1604", is the included 4GB DDR3 RAM up-gradable?

If yes:
1) Is the factory installed 4GB DDR3 a single 4GB module, or a pair of two 2GB modules?
2) What is the maximum amount of memory supported?
3) What type of DDR3?  In other words, DDR3 is available at different speeds, different number of pins, EEC, etc.
Please provide the particulars in order for me to make an informed after-market purchase.
Ideally, if you could provide a link to any site that points to a match for the memory that is currently installed, then I would know what to search for in a higher capacity.

Thank you.

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/storage-devices/business-nas/terastationtm-5010/terastationtm-5410dn/#prettyPhoto

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Model TS5410DN1604 memory upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
The RAM on this unit is not designed to be upgradeable. In our testing increasing the RAM did not significantly increase performance.

Butters

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
Hi Texturtle,

I imagine the results of your testing were based on the size of files that were chosen for the testing.  I could understand, when using files that are a few K or even hundreds of MBs that the 4GB of RAM will immediately buffer those size files, and do the mechanical (slow, by comparison) work in the background.

But I will be working with many GB size files.  So perhaps a larger RAM buffer would be beneficial?
With this in mind, forgive me for repeating my question: is the RAM accessible?
If you still feel it is not worthwhile, please let me know.

By the way, I am aware of the issues with buffered data, if there should be a power loss.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
It's been some time since I opened one of these so I can't say for sure offhand what the configuration is. It is SODIMM but I can't say for sure if it's 2x2 or 1x4 or what clock speed the RAM is.

We still consider this non-upgradeable and could affect the warranty in the even of a chassis failure.