Author Topic: Linkstation 441e add 4th drive to raid array. Instructions do not match current  (Read 2061 times)

MyersJ2

• Calf
The manual on this site does not match what appears with the new software. On pages 50-51. I do not get the option to to add to array, nor does any raid mode options ever appear. I only get "recover raid array" on the bottom right when I chose to readd disk one, the replacement to the disk that failed. I have upladed a screen shot. Sorry for the size. I have a massge 21x9 1440+ monitor + a 1080+ monitor hooked up.

Actually "attachments and other options" down below is useless. It does not have an attachments options. Im pretty certain Buffalo is a dead company...

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
If you are replacing a failed drive then "Recover RAID Array" is the correct procedure.

MyersJ2

• Calf
But that is not an option. It is grey'd out. I purchased a new drive today, put it in and formatted it. Same thing. Its not doing anything.

Texturtle

• Administrator
Typically once you format the drive it won't rebuild because formatting reduces the available space on the drive by a few bytes. Try removing the new drive and re-insert it, then try the rebuild without formatting it. Removing/reinserting the drive may clear the NAS's knowledge of the formatting.

If it still won't rebuild and the drive still shows as "formatted", then you will need to wipe the drive. One way to do that is by using the "diskpart" command in Windows. Instructions for that procedure are here: http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/cleaning-a-disk-in-windows-7-using-diskpart

The title says Windows 7 but this will work in any version of Windows.

MyersJ2

• Calf
the diskpart thing worked, sorta. But i still have a slight difference in drive size. 3x 3711.2 GB and 1 x 3711 so that might be the hangup. They no longer make the exact drive that was in there so I'm assuming the new version is a few MB smaller, at least according to this. How do I overcome this?

Texturtle

• Administrator
I'm not sure it can be overcome without using a different drive. The replacement has to have at least as much space as the existing drives in order to be incorporated into the RAID array.

MyersJ2

• Calf
So this is the third complete failure Ive had with buffalo poop. Its become clear why no website ever ever ever recommends their NAS's. Hell most wont even review them. They fail continuously (this drive that supposedly failed works perfect in every disk check done) and they give 0 support.