Author Topic: TS-XL/R5 Disk Error  (Read 2482 times)

ILuvNips

• Calf
TS-XL/R5 Disk Error
« on: September 04, 2017, 04:32:45 AM »
My Terastation flagged up an error on Disk 3, nothing else in the log file, I checked the disk and it had no SMART errors, so I rediscovered the disk and rebuilt the RAID5 array and the disk is now back online.

What or where would be the specifics on why the disk was flagged as being in error? I'd just like to know more info so that I can keep an eye on things. I have had this before with another set of hard disks, all the disks checked out without any issues that I could see so it does look like sometime the Terastation can error a disk when there's nothing wrong with it.

ILuvNips

• Calf
Re: TS-XL/R5 Disk Error
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 05:52:11 AM »
I've had this now a few times since my last post, disk 2 was the latest, again a rediscover and rebuild resolves the issue and again SMART shows no errors with the disk?

Still would like to investigate what triggers the disk to be reported as bad?

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
I would guess this problem is due to the drive(s) dropping out of the array, because it is taking too long to access the drive.
This can happen with certain kinds of disks.

Other than that- no idea what else could be causing it.

What model of disks are you using?

Have you installed the latest firmware?

Kane88

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
One other thing.  If the drives don't stop dropping out, you might want to consider RAID 10 or some other mode.

I wouldn't recommend RAID 5 with that model for many reasons.  Besides the drop out problem, the rebuild time takes too long, and it is possible to lose a second disk during the rebuild.

https://www.askdbmgt.com/why-raid5-should-be-avoided-at-all-costs.html

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
Are these drives original?

What you describes sounds like drives suffering from some degree of failure. I'm curious whether they show any relocated or pending sectors in the SMART data.

ILuvNips

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 04:27:40 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, didn’t realise that replies had been posted. The drives are all WD Reds, I have 4 6TB drives installed. I’ve had the same error with a single disk reported again a few times, each time I put the disk in my PC, check SMART and do a check in try disk and nothing is reported. Put the disk back in, rediscover it and do a rebuild and it’s fine until the next time it flags another disk in error.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »
I wonder what the power requirements are for these drives compared to the OEM drives. If there's nothing physically wrong with the drive(s) it could be dropping for some other reason like insufficient power/etc. If it's always the same one you could try changing the drive order to see if the issue follows the drive or stays with the drive bay. 

ILuvNips

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 02:28:54 PM »
No it’s not always the same disk. To be honest when it was under warranty and had the original 4 2TB drives it also did this. I logged a call and sent the log files and Buffalo decided to switch out all 4 drives as they could see that over a period all the drives had reported as in error. The replacements have also done this and so have the 6Tb drives.

The power thing I hadn’t given a thought to in all honesty but I don’t know how I might try and track it down to being a power issue.