Author Topic: Connection to LS-WXL no longer possible  (Read 1940 times)

suikeroom

• Calf
Connection to LS-WXL no longer possible
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:10:58 AM »
This is the second time in the last 7 years or so that this happens to me:  one one bad day the box shows a orange light and from there on I cannot connect to it anymore... it disappeared from my wired ethernet, and also plugging the cable in another port of my ethernet (10/100) does not solve the problem. It looks like that the ethernet hardware inside de storage box is broken.....

Now.... HOW do I recover the data from the disks (I operated the box in 2x 2TB, so not in raid) ? 

Any help is appreciated.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Connection to LS-WXL no longer possible
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 04:01:44 AM »
Does the Nas navigator report any errors?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

suikeroom

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:23:28 AM »
As I can't get to the NAS anymore (ethernet broken) how can I find that out ?  The IP address just isn't there anymore on my network...(I gave it a static IP, based on MAC address)

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 04:56:38 AM »
Unlikely that the Ethernet port is broken.

What is the error code sequence on the info/error led?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

suikeroom

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:19:13 AM »
Davo, I'll try the Navigator later today. Currently when I restart the box there is no error code, all which comes up is the well-known blue LED.  On the Ethn. port only the yellow LED lights up.  ( I seem to remember that there was an activity LED above the yellow one??)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:31:01 AM by suikeroom »

suikeroom

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
OK here we go... interesting results. Note I always properly shut-down and then disconnect the power. Re-connect the power and switch from off to on.

I switched to another ethernet port/cable as I needed to move the device from the basement to my office.

with ethernet cable attached:
power-on, blue power LED blinks; after some time the amber info/error LED comes on.  After boot is ready (blue power led steady) I see the IP address as a connected device in my router.  NAS-Navigator (2.91) finds the device.  There is no info, except for that a new (I52) firmware is available (I have 1.71).  I can access the device and its data

with ethernet cable detached...
power-on, blue power LED blinks; ; until boot ready the amber LED does not light up. Attach the ethernet cable. When I connect the cale, everything seems to work ok, I can access the data. One exception, the share is not automatically added to the finder on my mac.

I still need to investigate why the device did not ( and still does not) connect through the ethernet in the basement where it has been working for years.... And I am puzzled why the amber LED comes on when I startup with ethernet connected.

Another thing which happens... every time I do a refresh with the nasnavigator it tells me that the date and time of the NAS are incorrect...

And I can't find the place to download the latest firmware for this LS-WXL.

Just as an addition: after a hour or so, also in the latter case ( first boot, then connect ethernet) the amber LED comes on (Info/error)

Ahhggrr... is I52 the code for 'new firmware is available' (it is not in the manual, that stops at I47). and the amber LED comes on to signify this??? If I do not have the ethernet cable connected from boot, somewhere the device will check for new firmware and lite the LED? when the cable is connected from the start, then it is checked at boot time????  (by the way, the LED is solid on, nothing flashing...)

(still needs to check the cable/eternet port in the basement...)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:32:29 PM by suikeroom »