Author Topic: Terastation 5800 - Standby after X time no use  (Read 2127 times)

Zebraitis

• Calf
Terastation 5800 - Standby after X time no use
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Folks,

Is there a simple way to set the 5800 into standby mode after no use?

Sure, I saw the sleep timer option under management...  but that seems to set it to wake at a certain time, and sleep at a certain time...  and I just want it to sleep after 15 or 20 minutes after no disk access.  Then I can use WakeOnLAN to bring it back up.

I'm using my TeraStation as a backup to my home server, so the time of use of the box is limited to me running a random manual backups, rather than a predictable time plan.

So, my intent would be:

1) from my living room, use my laptop to send a WakeOnLan packet to the TeraStation in my basement, in a closet.
2) run my manual backup
3) have the TeraStation standby after I'm done

rinse, lather, repeat.

I know that I can power off the system from the Settings menu...  but that's a hard power off rather than standby.  (...right???  I see that there is still power to the ports even if off.)

Thoughts?

Zebraitis

• Calf
Re: Terastation 5800 - Standby after X time no use
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
OK...  to answer part of the question:

IF  I do use the power down feature in the Settings menu   AND   after power off, I send a WakeOnLan packet   THEN   the system will power up.

It seems that wake-on-LAN is enough to become a power-up-on-LAN. 

HOWEVER   that still requires me to take action.

I would still PREFER that this could be a setting that is automatic, so that if I forgot (which happens)  then it would not keep running and wasting energy.

Thoughts?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »
The TeraStation is designed for a business environment where it is expected to be running all the time and therefore doesn't have any sort of idle timeout.

Zebraitis

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »

That sound like a reasonable answer.

While it would be nice to have that feature, the wake-on-lan / power off features will work for me.

By the way, out of curiosity, when do the disks spin down?  is there a time after no use / no access that they do?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »
There is no disk spin down enabled in the TS5800.

Zebraitis

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »

Well, based on my use, I'm glad I asked these questions.  And I appreciate the responses.

While there can be pro's and cons for various positions on this, I'll consider this thread RESOLVED.