Author Topic: How to enable SMBv2 on Linkstation LS-WXL systems so it works with modern OSes  (Read 67250 times)

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
OK it failed miserably using the forked acp_commander.jar so I used the one from the same repo as the get_ssh script that was updated 6 years ago, and it seemed like it failed (multiple
Code: [Select]
Changeing IP: ACP_STATE_PASSWORD_ERROR at the end of every block of commands) but then I figured I'd try to login as root via putty and that worked with the same password as admin account.

So now I've followed the instructions posted by mishikal (what to put in smb.sh) and patator (how to edit it for those not as familiar with Linux) and I'm hoping after I reboot my PC to disable SMB v1.0 client/server I'll still be able to access my NAS drive.

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
Ok I removed SMBv1.0 Client from Windows 10 and I've even restarted the LinkStation for good measure and Windows 10 still won't see the LinkStation.

I've modified the correct config file so it's near enough exactly as posted by mishikal in post #1, I even ran the same restart command and still nothing.

Here is what my config file looks like from putty.

Here is what happens when I run the reload command.

Am I doing something wrong somewhere? I've copied and pasted the configs etc so I don't see how I could mistype something.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:17:11 pm by Sergeant_Steve »

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
So I ended up having to do another restart due to messing up SSH after trying to restart the service, and I've just noticed that now it seems to have decided to start working with Windows 10 after it previously refusing...

So it seems you need to both run the reload command AND restart the LinkStation (which despite me doing both earlier didn't seem to work). I've also just set the max protocol to SMBv2, I might try setting the minimum to SMBv2 as well in the future and see what happens.

Either way my LinkStation now seems to be allowing SMBv2 on Windows 10.

I assume updating Samba to say version 4.x.x for SMBv3 is nigh on impossible?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Yes, trying to update Samba within the stock firmware would be nearly impossible.

If you'd like you can replace the stock firmware with Debian Linux. In that case you can easily install modern Samba, though you'll need to configure it yourself.

Installation media and instructions can be found here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo