Author Topic: How to enable SMBv2 on Linkstation LS-WXL systems so it works with modern OSes  (Read 198761 times)

siamak

• Calf
Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my LS-CHL. I tried this solution. I activated the SSH as mentioned but when I try to access my device using Putty, and after entering my password the connection would be interrupted and I get this error from Putty: "Server unexpectedly closed network connection".

Do you guys have any suggestion for that? I mean it shouldn't be related to my device model. Does it?

Appreciate your help.

Bests
Siamak

gilcor55

• Calf
Hi Mischikal
Thanks for your contribution: it's precise and very well explained.
Since many years, I have a Buffalo ls-gl LinkStation and it worked very well til Windows 10 fall creator update.
It is a pain to use FTP transfer instead of windows explorer and after many search, I found your post on this forum.
I did all the steps you described, but at the end, when I restart the LinkStation, my windows 10 workstation still cannot connect with SMB2.
Do you know if there is a another way to force the ls-gl to use SMB2 ?
When I check the /etc/samba/smb.conf generated file, I find max protocol = SMB2 on the third line. How to know if it's "understood" from samba server?

Thanks in advance for answering me.

LesG

• Calf
Thank you mishikal, this works on my LinkStation.

staceym

• Calf
On macOS I needed to Install Java 6 before I could use ACP Commander JAR file from https://www.gry.ch/Java/styled/.

After Enabling SSH and setting root password in ACP commander I was able to connect using ssh from command line using:

ssh -o HostKeyAlgorithms=ssh-rsa -o KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -l root address

HTH.

LookinAround

• Calf
I'm trying to enable SMB2 on my LinkStation LS-WXL. I'm trying to follow directions in this post but don't know the root password. Is there a default? (btw  It's absolutely crazy and user UNfriendly that Buffalo firmware 1.74 didn't correct it nor did Buffalo indicate how to fix it)

If anyone can help, much thanks.

/* EDIT */
If I try using putty to SSH to the Linkstation, if I try entering an admin user defined on the Linkstation it closes "Other end closed connection"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:45:43 AM by LookinAround »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
I recently created a new fork of acp_commander which makes enabling a root shell over telnet reliable for all models.

You can get a copy here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/acp-commander

The readme page has the usage information/etc.

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
I recently created a new fork of acp_commander which makes enabling a root shell over telnet reliable for all models.

You can get a copy here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/acp-commander

The readme page has the usage information/etc.

I'm having difficulty getting anywhere on my LS-WXL with Firmware 1.74.

I can get your ACP Commander jar to find the device if I tell it the IP using -t but it says it finds 9 devices which seems kinda odd.

I can SSH onto the admin user using putty anyway, but as soon as I get in the LinkStation closes the connection, and I can't get in with root at all nor can I get in with telnet as it refuses the connection on port 23.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to change the Firmware Version to a lower one in order to get in? Java version is 1.8.0 so that shouldn't be an issue if it's built in 1.7.0 surely?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
if you post the output of your attempts I may be able to see what is happening.

it should be as easy as:
Code: [Select]
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <ip address> -pw <admin password> -o

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
I've just turned it off & heading to bed so I'll get the full output (minus password) on Monday.

IIRC it "logged in" and said it set the root password (ACP_state OK) and said I could then log in via Telnet with no/empty Password and I should set up a password.

After that it just went back to the normal Command Prompt. When I tried using putty to telnet it gave the same as Telnet in Command Prompt which was connection refused.

I did find out how to manually extract he contents of hddrootfs from the firmware update image files using WinRar and from there it's possible to edit what you like (Buffalo PW protect them but PW's can be found here).

So since it's easy to modify smb.sh outside of the LinkStation (and presumably anything for root/SSH access) I figure if I can't get in via acp_commander, then I can just edit the files manually on my PC, then I assume it is just a case of repackaging it all then changing the updater config ini file version_check flag to 0 and running the firmware updater?

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
if you post the output of your attempts I may be able to see what is happening.

it should be as easy as:
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <ip address> -pw <admin password> -o

Here's the output from the command:

C:\Users\Stephen\Documents>Java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 192.168.1.129 -pw ******** -o                                   
Reset root pwd...       Password changed.
start telnetd...        OK (ACP_STATE_OK)
You can now telnet to your box as user 'root' providing no / an empty password. Please change your root password to something secure.
C:\Users\Stephen\Documents>

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
Hmm. That sure looks like it worked, though it really only detects whether it failed to send the commands, not whether they actually work.

Could you post the putty settings/connection details you are trying?

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
Not sure what Putty settings you want but I haven't changed any from the defaults. And like I said even using Telnet in Command Prompt still gives Connection Refused.

This is what happens if I SSH in as Admin as of now.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
honestly, mostly want to confirm that it's using the right protocol/port.

I'm assuming you're using the one from the link I sent. For older versions the telnet feature doesn't actually work for most models.

Getting SSH to work is a little different among different models/firmware versions. I believe this script should work for that model though:
https://github.com/rogers0/OpenLinkstation/blob/master/0_get-ssh/get-ssh.sh

Sergeant_Steve

• Calf
Putty wise I'm using using SSH on port 22, Telnet is port 23. I don't fill in the autologin details because then I'd have to save the connection twice, once under admin and again under root.

I used WinSCP and SFTP to find out that SFTP gives a little more information and it told me that /home doesn't exist and nor does /.

As for the links, yes I followed the link to your Github and downloaded the jar from there, not the original one that was released in 2012.

That SSH Script I assume can be run in WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux)? Do I need to modify anything to give it the IP and Password or will it prompt me for those anyway? Does that use your modified jar or the original jar?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
The script also relies on acp_commander so you'll need java. I've not used WSL, I don't know if it will work or not.