Author Topic: Terastation Live Is bad, terrible tech support  (Read 6939 times)

kcntwll

• Calf
Terastation Live Is bad, terrible tech support
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »

Your terastation is awful. I have reported you to the BBB.  Your service and RMA policies are terrible, the back up software doesn't work.  You only have a year warranty on a NAS device. What a rip off this is.
I recommend everyone not buy from you and maybe you'll get the idea.

Especially since I am in a field I can make those recommendation.

You need to check yourselves.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Terastation Live Is bad, terrible tech support
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
   I've had a Terastation Live for 2 and a half years now, only one problem, one of the disks died 6 months ago and got a replacement drive within the week, nothing to complain about from his happy customer:D Just because you have had a bad experience doesnt mean that every product is the same, faults happen from time to time and there is nothing you can do about this. I own a host of buffalo products and (fair enough) from time to time faults do occur however this doesnt mean the entire product/range/company is useless!
Message Edited by davo on 10-30-2008 01:28 PM
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »

All new Buffalo devices have a 3 year warranty, we are always making changes to improve the quality of our hardware and software.  If you have had a bad experience you can send me a message with your phone number we will get it resolved for you.

Thanks

pd

Nukeman10

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »

I have to agree with this thread after my latest struggles. This is the second time I've had to reflash FW on my unit to get it to respond. One minute it's working, next minute it's non-responsive. This latest problem happened after setting up an immediate backup job to backup to a USB drive I had connected and formatted. THe next day I figured to go look and see it completed and found the GUI of the Linkstation Live 500 stating I had an error. I went to look at the error and it ased for login info. It then started a loop on that sequence. I then power cycled the box, I then just tried to access the filesystem shares and found I could no longer do that. I then found I had to re-FW the box AGAIN. First time I did it after talking to your tech support. This NAS unit is not reliable at all. All I want is storage to share via my home network. I can't trust this box. You need better testing. Trust me, I work for a storage company. YOU need better testing.

Thanks

I hope I am contacted about this as I'd love to talk with Buffalo.

Nukeman10

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
This is not normal behavior on our units, if you are experiencing this please contact support for an RMA, we will insure a reliable working machine is replaced with yours.

spoonbow

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »

Ditto here. Similar problem(s) with a LinkStation Live 1TB. First unit I received actually had the wrong firmware installed out of the box. Called Buffalo tech support and they informed me that I could RMA the unit, but would have to pay the shipping. Pretty shabby for a factory defective unit. Fortunately the retailer I purchased from (buy.com) agreed to exchange the product and cover shipping both ways. Take note guys - THAT's customer service. My replacement unit has been nothing but trouble. Drops off the network frequently, fails to shut down when requested, is suffering the endless prompting for password syndrome described in multiple posts here, and pretty much needs to be re-flashed every time the unit restarts. I quite honestly have lost track of the number of times I have had to reinstall the firmware. To give you some idea how frequently it's needed, I keep the installer in a folder on my desktop. No kidding.

My last call to tech support resulted in a promise for a call back that never came. So what I would like to know is this - Are we ever going to get firmware that works reliably, or should I just yank the drives out and put them to use in hardware that actually works? I know there are those that seem to have found favor with the NAS gods and have no trouble with their LS, but all you have to do is look through the posts here and count the number of "fixes" that involve reinstalling firmware to realize that there is a real problem with some Buffalo products.

Lastly, sorry Paul but your last comment is too good to pass up. Perhaps that's what happening to all these units - "...we will insure a reliable working machine is replaced with yours." You keep replacing all the reliable, working machines with faulty ones...

Nukeman10

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »

Its a miracle. I'm not crazy. I have the exact problems and feelings as you spoonbow, thanks.

It's not just me have the same thoughts about this product. I have just RMA's my unit after having it for 35 days. I feel the same way on the return shipping. Frys Electronics wont take it back after 35 days. I know I won't be happy after I get my new unit cause I can tell it's not the HW but the FW/SW is the problem. I can crash this box with just a little effort. Thats the thing though, after it crashes it requires a FW updats to revive it. That's not the way it's supposted to be. I want a FW update that will fix issues. Anyway, If this 2nd unit doesn't work I plan to make so much noise about Buffalo it isn't funny. I work in the NAS market as a Sr. Test Engineer and can tell you now, this product has not been tested well at all.

Nukename10

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »
Again all units that leave the US RMA department are factory certified.  If you have any issues please contact 866-752-6210 or send me a message so we can get your issues resolved. 

rayropes

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »

I too have to express my disgust with having to pay return shipping (with insurance and tracking) for a unit less than a year old that clearly is defective.  Now I'm going to get another drive in return that I will be hesitant to rely on when all I really want is to get my money back and go with another company.  It seems to me that if a company believes they sell a good product then they would be willing to pay return shipping for an RMA.  I don't hold Buffalo responsible for HD failure but when the case fails and only boots into EM mode then thats another story.  BBB has been notified (just wished I checked the forums & BBB before purchasing - a "D" rating).

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »

The rating is due to the BBB sending the complaint notices to the wrong email address, for over 2 years. The dept it was sent to, had no idea why the email was sent and it was dismissed as spam. Once I took over support, I contacted the BBB and found out the above information. Due to not having responded to previous requests from the BBB, our rating was low. I responded to all the complaints and the rating was raised to a D. They only keep track of the past 3 years. We have competitors (can't mention names but you can check with the BBB) that have over 2000 complaints, with A to D ratings - it depends how fast you respond to the  BBB, not the number of complaints.

tfleck

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »

I wish someone would get there story straight then, because I tried to RMA a Terrestation Live was told that it would be replaced and that it had a three year warranty, then the RMA department called me back the next day cancelling the RMA and stating that the device only had a 1 year warranty.  Which is it?

**The Terastation Live, has always had a one year warranty from date of receipt. I don't see an RMA for you in our USA techlog (these are USA forums) please email me with your information, and I'll look further into our techlog for more info on your situation.

drmemory@buffalotech.com

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:20 AM »

It states in the Warranty Information that the unit only has a 1yr warranty. 

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/warranty/

tfleck

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »

All new Buffalo devices have a 3 year warranty, we are always making changes to improve the quality of our hardware and software.  If you have had a bad experience you can send me a message with your phone number we will get it resolved for you.

Thanks

pd

this is a quote from page 1 of this thread by one of your moderators.

**quote is from 9-16-2008, and new Terastations (this thread is about Terastations) had three year warranties. At that time, the Terastation Live was not a  new product.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »

The Terastation Live is not a "new" unit, it has been discontinued. When you purchased the unit all the documentation stated you had a 1 year warranty.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!