Author Topic: LS-QL/R5 Linkstation 4TB shows solid blue LED but still stuck in Drive Check  (Read 1775 times)

mindcandy

• Calf
Hello everyone!

My Linkstation 4TB acts very strange after two short power outages and Iīm out of ideas what to do next: I canīt access my files, WebGUI says "Format or Drive Check in progress" but the blue status LED is solid blue. NASNavi 2 can access the drive but gives same Message (I21 - checking drive 01...), Firmware is 1.11, RAID 5 (I guess). Had the "Check drive" running for 2 days now and it finished with all LEDs flashing in every colors they can - including the USB LED. No Error-Code for that behavior....  I still could turn the NAS off by pressing the power button. On reboot, it first looked okay, Status LED blinking then solid blue like after a sucessfull, issue-free bootup. But it wasnīt sucessfull, it still is stuck in DriveCheck but doesnīt indicate this anymore...

I googled a lot and red many postings and FAQs but they only added to my confusion about what I should try next.

I canīt affort to loose the data on this device because the tape containing the incremental-backups of this NAS got damaged in the same process

Full story:

Two days ago our whole area had two ultra-short power outages: OFF and ON in less than one sec. 
The first outage killed a weekly Backup-Process that was currently running to a PC with RDX Quikstore and seems to have destroyed the data structure on the RDX cartridge too, because the tape now gets ejected and marked as unreadable...  tough luck but still not a terminal failure.

Then came the second outtage - as short as the first one - and hit my NAS while it was booting!

Since then it always goes into Drive Check Mode. First time with the Status LED flashing the I21 Code, now it is doing the whole boot-up procedure which ends in 4 green LEDs for the drives and a static blue LED which should indicate a proper NAS without any issues.
It shows under the Explorer, I can open the WebGui, NAS NAvi2 finds it at the right IP Adress, SubnetMAsk and Workgroup but thatīs all.

No access to data or admin panel.

I tried to do some of the fixes Iīve found online, like:

- plugin an USB Drive to skip the Drive Check: this speeds up this drive check but wonīt keep the NAS from thinking it is still checking the drives
- I removed the first drive and tried to boot - results in error E16 - Harddrive not found
- I put all four 1TB-drives into another Linkstation-Case but this one is going into Drive Check Mode too.

Since I canīt affort to loose this Data, I need some advice:

? Can I try to re-flash my firmware without loosing my data ?

? Will I loose all data if I press the Reset-Button twice or just reset the IP and user settings ?

? Is there a way to force access to my data by using certain software? Like PuTTy, command shell or so ?

? How good are the chances to recover most data by installing the drives into a Recovery-PC and using UFSXPCI.exe or similar software ?

? does anyone know, if I can restore a faulty RDX cartridge ? ... I know, wrong forum ;-)

At the moment Iīll wait until the current drive check completes, just to see, if all the LEDs go haywire again... might take until the day after tomorrow.

I may need to mention: I use this drive inside a workgroup with a uniqe user-account with different read / write rights for each of the computers inside that workgroup.

Any help, fix or  pointers are very welcome!!
Thx in advance!