Author Topic: LS-WVL/E -Dead- How to decrypt the hard drives?  (Read 1769 times)

Zampa

• Calf
LS-WVL/E -Dead- How to decrypt the hard drives?
« on: February 02, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »
Hello everyone,,
 I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me solve. I have a Linkstation Duo, the LS-WVL/E to be precise. The system had two 1TB drives inside in Raid 1(Mirrored).
The box took its dying breath a couple days back and it has a red light blinking, I already tried all the first aid steps recommended by Buffalo to recover the system but its dead for real. They referred me to a company to recover my files, but they are asking for a lot of money and I can barely afford internet as I'm now.
When I plug the hard drives in my computer it shows a bunch of partitions but I don't see the files I had in storage.
My questions:
What kind of encryption do those systems use? (when I set it up I remember selecting the information to be encrypted with whatever program it used)
Can I un-encrypt the information if I know the password it was being encrypted under?
 I would really appreciate any help on the matter. I was using the system as my emergency backup for family files and pictures and now I don't have any access to retrieve the information.
Please reply as soon as possible.
Sincerely,.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS-WVL/E -Dead- How to decrypt the hard drives?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
I don’t think the data will actually be encrypted. You should be able to access them from a PC running linux. You should be able to force start the raid1 array and the  mount the underlying xfs filesystem and access it.

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
Re: LS-WVL/E -Dead- How to decrypt the hard drives?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 03:23:56 PM »
1000001101000 is correct, Linkstations don't support any encryption.

You should be able to mount the data partition in pretty much any major Linux distribution. (mdadm raid with xfs used for the data)

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.