Author Topic: My Old Rack TS-RXL /R5 Series  (Read 5384 times)

ahanson

• Calf
My Old Rack TS-RXL /R5 Series
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »
Hi, i have an old TS-RXL /R5 Buffalo Terastation that i currently use for backups. It been fine on and off for a good number of years but recently has, how can i put it - lost the will to live...! It scans all 4 drives on boot up and all looks good until the Red error light comes on and it reports EM Mode!!!!
OK, i can live with that if i can get it back out of EM mode by a firmware update. I can see the unit on the network and i can ping it on the IP but the Firmware Updater dosent see it and my NAS navigator, which did see it for a while albiet with a blue exclamation mark on it, dosent pick it up. Is there anyway i can rescue this device and get it working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated; its been a good work horse for me and would like to if possible keep running with it. Thanks to anyone in advance who can help.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: My Old Rack TS-RXL /R5 Series
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Download the firmware (link below) to a PC on the same subnet, unzip and run the .exe file with any security software disabled.

http://3865dc10959fb7ba66fc-382cb7eb4238b9ee1c11c6780d1d2d1e.r18.cf1.rackcdn.com/tsx_v171.zip
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:11:59 AM »
Hi Davo, Yep i tried that and it runs the .exe and reports that there are no terastations to update. I can see the NAS on the same subnet and can ping the IP but nothing else. thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:20:10 AM »
Then more than likely your anti virus and/or firewall software is blocking the updater from finding the unit.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
Ok, tried it again and not changing anything, the updater found the device after a reboot. Strange?? (There is no AV on this laptop i am accessing it with) It put the firmware on and then did a few reboots but then it lost connection and timed out, but the unit is no longer in EM Mode and i don't have any error lights, which is good but i still cannot access the device. A network scan finds the NAS and i can ping the IP but cannot browse to it. Any other thoughts?? Cheers

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:48:25 AM »
spoke too soon - Its back in EM Mode....!!!!!
Trying the firmware flash again.

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 04:22:57 AM »
Still no joy, it aborts the firmware update because it loses connection to the device after the first reboot.
I'm guessing along with the EM issue i think its got networking problems as well. If no one else has any ideas i think its time to retire this device.
thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »
What way is the unit connected to the laptop? Directly with a LAN cable or through the network?

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:59:06 AM »
Both the NAS and Laptop were connected through a switch, with only those 2 items on the LAN.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 08:11:46 AM »
Both the NAS and Laptop were connected through a switch, with only those 2 items on the LAN.

Any DHCP server?

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
Nope, fixed IP on the laptop and NAS box.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »
The Terasations 169 IP will change with no DHCP server, connect both to a DHCP server and redo the update.

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
The Terastation has a "fixed" IP it dosent get an IP from a DHCP server. It is on a network used as a backup device and has to have a fixed IP address so the backups can be pointed to it. I can see the IP address of the device when i do a network scan!! Having a DHCP server on the same LAN will make no difference at all, because the IP is "fixed". I dont quite understand what you are getting at. I dont want to appear rude but i dont understand your thinking. Please explain if i am missing something. Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 03:00:26 AM »
When it's in EM mode the fixed IP will not always stick, it's up to yourself if you try it or not.

ahanson

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
OK Davo, thanks for explaining. I will give it a try and see what happens.