Author Topic: LS-WTGL/R1-v3 and Windows 10  (Read 8394 times)

paulcrisp

• Calf
LS-WTGL/R1-v3 and Windows 10
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Hi folks
 This old but perfectly serviceable Linkstation Duo NAS device has ceased to be usable via Windows 10. It is accessible (albeit rather slowly) via the management interface and it can still be used as normal via Windows Server, earlier versions of Windows and current versions of Android (on a mobile phone). But from Windows 10 the device appears in the network browser but cannot be opened. Attempts generate a "network path not found" error. The box itself is clearly functioning so the problem seems to be an incompatibility between the network protocols in Win10 and the protocols supported by the Linkstation (which is running firmware version 3.09 the latest available in the Uk) :(

My Windows network has a couple of Ubunto boxes which integrate (via Samba) into the network just fine. Even Android is really Unix so I'm mystified that the Linkstation won't now work. Has anyone else encountered this and found a work around?

Regards

Paul

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: LS-WTGL/R1-v3 and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
I would suspect that it's due to the latest Windows update disabling SMB version 1 in an effort to block ransomware like wannacry. That older LinkStation doesn't have support for SMB version 2 and above and is therefore no longer accessible to the Windows 10 unit.

paulcrisp

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:31:41 AM »
Yes - I wondered about that (and have seen other references to it). However the Windows Features panel claims that 'SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support' is enabled . This might be lying though. Anyway of checking this more directly? And, more to the point, anything I can do to reenable/bypass ?

paulcrisp

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
I've not managed to solve the problem but I have found a workaround which is to FTP the NAS. Fortunately Win 10 will allow you to access an FTP address from within File Manager and manipulate files more or less as you would via SMB so i can live with this

Yes - I wondered about that (and have seen other references to it). However the Windows Features panel claims that 'SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support' is enabled . This might be lying though. Anyway of checking this more directly? And, more to the point, anything I can do to reenable/bypass ?