Author Topic: Replacing drive in RAID 10  (Read 3112 times)

chrisokaly

• Calf
Replacing drive in RAID 10
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
Having an interesting yet frustrating issue.  I have a TS3400, set up with 4 2TB drives in a RAID 10.   Got a notification today that one of the drives (Drive 4) failed.  Checking the drives in the web console, the capacity of all drives was 1831.4GB, and drive 4 was certainly failed.  However my RAID 10 status was normal.  I tried replacing the bad drive, but after dismounting it, my RAID status went to degraded.  Popped in a new drive (same WD drive as what's in there) and it formatted to 1830.3.  It wouldn't let me add the drive to the array, assuming because the formatted drive space was smaller than the other 3 drives.  Tried to format the drive in Windows prior to adding it to the TS, and same result.  Any ideas what I may have done wrong?  Or is the TS3400 just being dumb?  I really can't be wiping the entire array when a drive fails.  That pretty much defeats the purpose.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Replacing drive in RAID 10
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 03:06:26 AM »
The mistake was formatting it, this should not be done.
Select the disk on the Drives - Drives section -> Remove disk -> Wait 2 minutes, -> Select the disk again -> Rediscover disk, it will then show as unformatted.

Then go to Drives -> RAID -> Array1 -> Select the disk -> Recovery RAID.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

chrisokaly

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »
The mistake was formatting it, this should not be done.
Select the disk on the Drives - Drives section -> Remove disk -> Wait 2 minutes, -> Select the disk again -> Rediscover disk, it will then show as unformatted.

Then go to Drives -> RAID -> Array1 -> Select the disk -> Recovery RAID.

Sorry, i want to be totally clear about this....   So if a drive fails, just remove the drive and pop in a new, completely unformatted drive and the the option for recover raid will no longer be greyed out?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:33:27 AM »
Correct.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

chrisokaly

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
Thank you very much