Author Topic: NAS not showing on network  (Read 12810 times)

CourtneyP

• Calf
NAS not showing on network
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
Hi there, I am new to using the Buffalo NAS. We have been using it for a month in our office. When we came in this morning the NAS was not showing on our NETWORK. How can i move the folder in the screen shot to the network for all office employees to view and use? http://prntscr.com/fiwi14

Thanks in advance. Courtney P.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: NAS not showing on network
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »
In the screenshot you are already accessing the folder over the network. When you say the NAS is "not showing up" on your network, what precisely do you mean?

CourtneyP

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
Normally the NAS would show on the network for all computers to access, but it is now only showing on the main computer it is installed on. http://prntscr.com/fiztex - for example this screen shot is on my computer and I can not see the NAS.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
What this means is that it's not showing up in the network section of "My Computer" in Windows. It should still be accessible directly. In the address bar in Windows File Explorer simply type "\\" followed by the NAS name, which in this case appears to be "TS1200DD72". That would make \\TS1200DD72 the entry to put in the address bar.

That should take you to the NAS showing all the available shared folders. This is likely due to a change in Windows rather than something changing on the NAS.

The best option would be for anyone who needs to regularly access the NAS share go the the address I put above, then right-clicking on the share and choosing "map network drive" from the pop-up menu. Or each user can follow the steps in this KB article to map the drive: http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/mapping-a-drive-to-a-buffalo-nas-in-windows

CourtneyP

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »
Hi there, I have tried both steps and neither have worked. Do you have any other suggestions I can try. Thanks!

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »
do you have NAS navigator installed?

Jerad Whitaker

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »
Are you running dynamic IP addresses on your network?  When was the last time you rebooted the NAS?  What other network hardware do you have that the NAS is attached to?  A little more info is needed about your configuration to be able to provide a solution.