Author Topic: Cannot access NAS shares on macOS  (Read 2439 times)

mrp777

• Calf
Cannot access NAS shares on macOS
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
My Linkstation NAS has been working successfully for many years. Recently, I am unable to connect to it. The device shows up on my network and is assigned an IP address. However, I cannot connect to the drive. It does not show up in NAS Navigator 2 either. I've tried connecting using cifs://NameOfShare, smb://NameOfShare; smb://IP address, but nothing works.

macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Model LS-V1.0TL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:52:38 AM by mrp777 »

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Cannot access NAS shares on macOS
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
What do the lights on the front look like? I'm assuming it likely is flashing.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

mrp777

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
The light at the top of the unit is flashing "red".

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
How many times? There will be a number of flashes, pause, a number of flashes, pause, continuously repeated.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mrp777

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
3 flashes, pause, 3 flashes, repeat....

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 06:41:36 AM »
It means that HDD has failed.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mrp777

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
Is this article relevant: http://en.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14328/p/31,33
It says the drive cannot be mounted. Is there any way to remove the drive from the case and attempt to view externally to back it up?

Also, I unplugged the NAS for 1/2 hour. After reconnecting to power, the top light flashes continuously "blue".

*NEW UPDATE:
The NAS is now connected to the LAN. Opening NasNavigator shows that it is in "Emergency Mode". I downloaded the firmware update for osMac. Opened the dmg file. But when I double click the "update" app, nothing happens. As I mentioned earlier, I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:49:53 PM by mrp777 »

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
Unfortunately older units updaters may not run on Sierra.

mrp777

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:01:46 AM »
Is there any other procedure for getting out of Emergency Mode? Is Buffalo abandoning units without any means to fix or update firmware? If I open the unit and take out the drive, is there any way to access the files?

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
If the drive is failed, since it only has one drive, there isn't too much here to fix.

It is possible that you could recover data by plugging the unit into a Linux box and attempting to mount that drive. If it is failed in such a way that you can't do that, then you will have to rely on your latest backup. If you didn't have a backup, then it depends on how valuable that data is to you if you want to pursue professional data recovery.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**