Author Topic: LS-QVL refuses connection  (Read 3125 times)

bambino

• Calf
LS-QVL refuses connection
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:44:53 AM »
Wonder if anyone could potentially help here...

I have about 5 years old Linkstation Quad-pro (LS-QVL) which has been running nice and smooth. Yesterday had couple of power outages in my house and after that the Linkstation does not allow any connection in for somewhat reason. All the lights seems OK (no error lights), the DHCP lease from the router looks active and actually the IP address of the Linkstation responds to ping. But I can't get to the shares nor to the web console using browser. Been booting the thing couple of times and it looks booting up normally.

Anybody any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: LS-QVL refuses connection
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
Probably emergency mode, what does the Nas navigator say?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

bambino

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
Indeed, EM apparently. I guess the article in buffalo wiki for firmware flashing is the best fix for the problem?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
Correct, just download the 1.71 firmware, unzip and run the .exe file.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

bambino

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Well, it didn't go really as planned...

The updater did find the LS and started the update process, seemed to write to LS properly, but then hanged to the "booting Linkstation" status. The Linkstation never booted during the process and after quite a while the updater gave error for LS not responding in the past 1200 sec or something. The LS disappeared from the NASnavigator and did not respond to ping either. It did not even boot using the power button. I tried to boot it few times simply taking off power, but every time after the boot it wasn't responding to ping/NASnavigator nor did react when I tried to manually boot using power button. Blue light blinking and disk lights looked OK.

I then powered it off again and deleted the static IP assignment from my router to try whether it will come to NW again if the router assigns the IP address again. It actually helped and the LS appeared in NASnavigator, but still in EM mode. Started the firmware updater again, but again it hanged to booting LS-status (never booted) and disappeared from the NW including NASnavigator.

Any ideas what is going on in the box?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:07:40 PM by bambino »

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
you may have a bad drive causing boot.

Attempt to boot it with drive one out.

If no go, put drive one back in and try with drive 2 out.

Go down the line, with only one removed drive at a a time.

If it boots, check or update your backup (you do have a backup, right?).

If it doesn't boot, look for which drive is causing issues by attaching them to a computer and running a SMART test tool. Boot any 3 good drives to EM and try the update again.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

bambino

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
No sorry, when I said it wasn't booting, I meant the firmware updated process couldn't shut the Linkstation at all while it tried to boot it. It stayed up and running, but lost all connectivity and didn't respond to ping etc. anymore. And did not allow shutting down using the power button within the Linkstation.

If I manage to get it to network again (even in EM mode) would the debugin of the updater help, I'm pretty sure I had already the 1.71 version of the firmware installed in the Linkstation?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:46:01 AM by bambino »

bambino

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:21 AM »
One more try - maybe I can explain what happens a bit better now to allow you gurus to potentially understand where the issue might be...

I managed to get the LS back into NW again, it appeared in NASnav in emergency mode. I started the firmware updater using the LSupdater which found the LS from the NW neatly.

The transfer of the FW worked as charm (according the updater). After transferring the LS updater commended the LS to boot, which it did. After booting up the LS power led was blinking with 2 long yellow after 5 short, so I25 (updating FW) so all good. After a while the LSupdater commanded the LS to boot again, which it did.

BUT, after this 2nd boot the FUNCTION LED was glowing RED for about 2 minutes. POWER LED blinking blue as normal, all disks leds seems OK. The LS has not responded any calls in the NW. Ping says "Destination host unreachable". LS Updater is stuck in "Linkstation Booting" status and just informed  "LS hasn't been reached for past 1200 seconds, do you want to continue?". I responded "yes" and waiting now another 1200 seconds go by and getting the same error. The LS cannot be turned of using POWER BUTTON, it does not respond to pressing it at all.

So it seems the whole LS gets stuck on the second boot in the LSUpdater process and is not finishing it properly. It does not boot up to the NW properly and also gets fully stuck not even responding to power button. All is OK on the router side. The most interesting part within that second to me is the function led glowing solid RED as I can't find such color coding for function led anywhere in manuals or in forums.

Would appreciate if anyone has any ideas why this could happen. Thanks in advance for your help.