Author Topic: FW supporting SMB V2  (Read 50310 times)

javelin

• Calf
FW supporting SMB V2
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
Does anyone know if a new FW supporting SMB V2 is available? I have two Buffalo NAS and one has FW 1.7 and the other is 1.8 but neither support SMB V2.  I would like to be able to disable SMB V1 in my Windows OS but not until the NAS supports SMB V2.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jav

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: FW supporting SMB V2
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
Model?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

javelin

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »
LS421DE
LSWVL - forgot exactly but its the ProDou

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
The LS421 has it anyways, log onto the web interface as admin > Advanced settings > File sharing > SMB > edit > enable SMB2 protocol > OK.

I don't think its an option on the LS-WVL.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

javelin

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
I have web access but only see the shared folders so I will verify that when I get home. If I see that on my LS421, I will migrate everything off my LS-WVL, disable SMB1, and use LSWVL as backup. Thank you much!

javelin

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »
I have web access but only see the shared folders so I will verify that when I get home. If I see that on my LS421, I will migrate everything off my LS-WVL, disable SMB1, and use LSWVL as backup. Thank you much!

Thank you. It is there. In fact, I saw this last night and it says it was "Disabled", I didn't do the edit.

Thanks for checking, I appreciate it!

garneke

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
SMB v1 has been permanently disabled on my laptop because of the "wannacry" ransom ware.
It was a done as part of the win 10 security updates.   
Now I cannot access either of my two Buffalo NAS units. 
Does this mean I should just throw them out?  What a fricking waste. 

I have an LS-WVL/E and an LS-X2.0TL .  Both were working fine and then in the matter of one day I have been limited to FTP Access Only.

Are they seriously not going to support SMB v2 on these devices? 
Buffalo like most companies these days provides absolutely no way to contact them to ask so I am hoping someone on this forum is in the know.

pbcopter

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:42 AM »
SMB v1 has been permanently disabled on my laptop because of the "wannacry" ransom ware.

I have an LS-WVL/E and an LS-X2.0TL .  Both were working fine and then in the matter of one day I have been limited to FTP Access Only.

Buffalo like most companies these days provides absolutely no way to contact them to ask so I am hoping someone on this forum is in the know.

I am interested in this as well. I also have two LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WVL/E.

woodelf

• Calf
Re: supporting SMB V2
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 12:53:17 AM »

...this is a "me to" request for smb2.
I know my boxes are old - 2 x TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 with the last available firmware being v1.24... right now these 2 are shutdown and a 'FreeNAS Mini' is on-the-way (future proof). I take this as a lesson learned.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
It's been awhile since we've sold those, I wouldn't expect a firmware update.

https://www.howtogeek.com/250228/what-windows-10s-optional-features-do-and-how-to-turn-them-on-or-off/

If you want to turn it back on for legacy support.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
Update available for the LS-X series is available on the EU website. Will also work on the LS-WXL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL, LS-XL and LS-CHL v2.

[Note]
Version 1.73 [2017.7.5]
Bug Fixes
[SMB]
- Modified to deal with a Samba programming vulnerability (CVE-2017-7494).

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/Download_t3f.php?elif=%2Fuserfiles%2Ffile%2Fdownloads%2FLS-series-fw173_fwwin.zip

pbcopter

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
Update available for the LS-X series is available on the EU website. Will also work on the LS-WXL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL, LS-XL and LS-CHL v2.

[Note]
Version 1.73 [2017.7.5]
Bug Fixes
[SMB]
- Modified to deal with a Samba programming vulnerability (CVE-2017-7494).

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/Download_t3f.php?elif=%2Fuserfiles%2Ffile%2Fdownloads%2FLS-series-fw173_fwwin.zip

I installed this update to the firmware but I don't see how it allows it to work with SMBv1 disabled.
Is there a new setting?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 03:21:17 AM »
It fixes the vulnerabilityin SMB1 so technically would allow you to use the protocol.

garneke

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
It fixes the vulnerabilityin SMB1 so technically would allow you to use the protocol.

Doesn't help if windows updates disable SMB1 for security reasons.  No since is wasting time with this update.  Anyone want a couple of paper weights?