Author Topic: 4TB MyPassport not detected after first being detected  (Read 2099 times)

Steven Leuck

• Calf
4TB MyPassport not detected after first being detected
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
Using a 4TB WD My Passport 3.0 on a Buffalo TS3400DB60 with 2x2TB arrays. Bought a pair of 4TB MyPassports to run backup of these arrays. First day I plugged them in they worked like a charm. Immediately detected and then backed up what they were told.  The first time I ran them I ran them as a full backup.  What I should have done as run them as incremental backup.  A couple days later I realized my mistake when the USB devices were both full.  So, I erased the stored data and was going to re-set the backup type to incremental. However, after erasing them through the Terrastation utilities the USB drives were no longer detected on the system. Thinking I may have accidentally erased something that made them detectable I brought them back to my PC (Win7 Pro, 64b) I restored them to factory defaults.  Still not detectable on the Terrastation.  Brought them back to the PC and ran a quick format. Still not detectable on the Terrastation.  Ran an overnight full format. Still not detectable on the Terrastation. 
I've expired ideas of what I can think of to make these drives detectable on the Terrastation -- was hoping someone knows what's going on from the above descriptions.  I searched the forums for similar problems. Found some that sounded similar but never saw anyone get a response of something that made it work.
Any ideas out there???

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: 4TB MyPassport not detected after first being detected
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:00:54 PM »
That is very odd. Have you deleted the backup job? Try that.

If none of that works try a diskpart /clean on the drive.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

Steven Leuck

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
Had high hopes for this being a simple fix.... not working. Tried the Diskpart routine. While the cleaning function went smooth,.... still doesn't recognize the MyPassport device on the NAS. Now doesn't see it in Explorer on my PC either. Oddly, it sees the device when I go to devices and printers... just doesn't recognize it as a drive any longer.

Steven Leuck

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
Got MyPassport recognized by my PC again by using the Windows Manage feature and re-initializing the drive.  Still not seen by the NAS though -- or through it to my PC.

tia1971

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »
Got MyPassport recognized by my PC again by using the Windows Manage feature and re-initializing the drive.  Still not seen by the NAS though -- or through it to my PC.

can you tell me how you did this....re-initializing the drive I am having problems as well but with linkstation

Steven Leuck

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
I followed the instructions at: https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=14925#windas 
It was specifically the option titled "Disk Management - No Drive Letter Assigned" that got me there. 

Steven Leuck

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
Still can't get my external drives to be recognized on the TeraStattion