Author Topic: lost access to LinkStation after changing isp  (Read 168 times)

alk

• Calf
lost access to LinkStation after changing isp
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:25:48 pm »
I bought a LinkStation Duo in 2011 which was connected to my laptop running Windows 7.  When I upgraded to Windows 10 it was still working and I could access my data.  My Internet provider is Comcast and they recently upgraded my Modem.  When this happened I lost contact to my Link Station.  There is no network connection at all.  The Link Station has a solid blue power light, and the power cord and LAN connections on the back of the device both have a solid green light.  I have had the Geek Squad at my house for over two hours, and also spent 45 minutes on the phone with the Buffalo Technology Support staff.  No one has been able to figure out a way to contact my link station.  Those techs have tried reinstalling it with the Disk that came with the device and downloaded the newest updates from the Buffalo website.  Nothing has resulted in my computer being able to find the LinkStation.  Even the Buffalo NAS Navigator cannot find it.  The Buffalo Tech told me my data is still there, but it just can't be accessed.

I am not real computer savvy and have to be told step by step how to do things.  Can anyone help me?

javelin

• Calf
Re: lost access to LinkStation after changing isp
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:46 am »
Is your NAS connected to your modem like your laptop?  I will be making a lot of assumption here going forward.

I would presume your NAS is setup with DHCP and when the modem changed, the NAS may have re-leased and got a new IP.

Now, if you had a shared drive in your laptop to your NAS but the NAS IP changed, then that would definitely prevent you from getting to your folders in the NAS, or any kind of connection to the NAS for that matter.

You may have to reset your NAS to get a known default IP and get your laptop connected to it. Once there, change the settings so that it will not use DHCP; eg, use a private static IP... you may need a separate switch for this so that you're not locked-in with the modem.

A smart network switch with 5-ports should do...may cost you $30-$50.

If your laptop have only one network port, which will be used for your modem, temporarily use it to access and setup your NAS and then use the USB ports for connection between your laptop and NAS. In this scenario, you wont need a separate switch. But if the NAS is not on the network(using network switch), no one else in your household or the net, if you have it setup as cloud, can access your folders.

Geek Squad or Buffalo Tech should be able to help you with this or with the various connectivity options.

Sorry, I can't give you a step-by-step process to get you working again but hopefully you have some options to work with.

Good luck.

jav