Author Topic: LS421DE Create Share before mapping the drive  (Read 3147 times)

The_NPP

• Calf
LS421DE Create Share before mapping the drive
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »
Panic mode.  Lost my connection to my NAS disks today.  Cannot figure out a fix.  3 questions answered or any solution needed.
I have a LS421DE with 2x 2TB HDs in it -- No RAID.  Basically I back up to one OFTEN and back up the first disk to the second one monthly AND I have shared files on HD #1 that are accessed from my simple home network:  No server, just shared accesses.
I can ping the system and navigator can see the basic unit.  I can also log into the device via IE.
I ran the direct IE link check disk on both drives.  No extreme notices after the checks.

HOWEVER when using the NAS Navigator2 interface to try to map the drive(s), I get a "Create a folder name Share before mapping drive." error.

I learned after purchase that if you reinsert or insert a drive into the system it erases the drive.  I'd love to avoid erasing the disks if possible.

Q1:  If I Delete and then recreate the Shared folder (via the direct IE interface), do I lose all data on the disk?

Q2:  Any idea how i can re-establish contact to the files without losing them?

Q3:  I believe these are formatted in a Linux format that my Windows system cannot view if hooked up directly.  If i create a Linux O/S system and then physically linked the drives into the LINUX machine, should I have access to the files?

Thanks -- The NPP

The_NPP

• Calf
Re: LS421DE Create Share before mapping the drive
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »
The problem has been resolved.  Here's everything I did and extra data in case it helps you:

Extra Data:
I could no longer see the device on the Network Devices listing in Windows 7 Explorer even though I could still ping the device and could access the interface via IE(/Chrome).
EVERY TIME I access the device through the IE interface, it said it had two (shared) folders (one for each drive), but Navigator2 still could not see the two folders -- yes, I refreshed and restarted the program often.

Steps I took in getting the drives back -- I don't know which one was the solution key:
I ran a Disk Check on both drives.  No extreme error messages but still didn't see any access.
I renamed one of the shared folders.  I did NOT delete and recreate the Shared folder.  (A future test?)
I renamed the shared folder listing back to the original name.
Brought the device to my main desk from the storage location where it usually operates.  In addition to having it plugged into my local switch I also plugged in the USB connection to my main PC.
... Oddly, the direct USB connection didn't register on my main PC.
Frustrated, I shut down both the device (I had done this multiple times) as well as the main PC I had it plugged into, said screw it and went to bed.  Basically I shut down the whole thing.
... I also sacrificed a young goat to the gods before going to bed if you think that might have been a factor.  The Gods seem to LOVE capretto.
Restarted the drive and after it came up, restarted the PC -- The drive enclosure was still on the switch as well as connected via USB cable to the main PC.
The status, according to Windows and accessing via IE was unchanged.

FINALLY:  Even though it was still not visible, I decided to run a direct "Map Drive" sequence through Windows Explorer.  That is, I Mapped the Folder as I would any existing, visible folder.
IT WORKED!  In addition to working, the network listings now show the device as well.
The next step will be to return it to the storage site and see if the access remains active.
I have removed the USB link and it is still active.

Things I did NOT do!!!:
I did not delete and remake the Shared Folder.
I did not remove and re-seat the drive!  In the past this has cause the system to (unexpectedly) reformat the drive.

I hope this information is helpful.  I honestly can't see anything other than the sacrifice that had any direct influence.
I think the Check Drive actions might have corrected the situation and next time I'll try mapping the drives after each step.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:43:01 AM by The_NPP »