Author Topic: Ethernet cable length supported by Buffalo routers  (Read 4495 times)

johnowenschina

• Calf
Ethernet cable length supported by Buffalo routers
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »
I am using 3 wireless routers to extend coverage around my property. When I connect then them with short ethernet cables, it works as expected. However, in actual operation the last router is connected LAN > LAN via a 145 foot CAT 6 cable. I used a Ethernet cable checker and the cable and connectors are working. However, on the last router the Ethernet port light does not come on. Are the Buffalo ethernet circuits not able to transmit this far?

Topology: LinkSys with Internet access, LAN port connected to WZR-HP-G300NH LAN
 WZR-HP-G300NH LAN connected to WZR-HP-G450H LAN port

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Ethernet cable length supported by Buffalo routers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »
The Ethernet spec allows cable runs up to 100 meters so this should be fine. However, many cable testers can check basic connectivity but won't account for possible interference on the line that could degrade the actual ethernet signal. Make sure the cable doesn't run near any possible sources of interference such as fluorescent light fixtures, HVAC units, etc.

johnowenschina

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
No interference along the path. The 3rd router, the one not connecting, is in the barn, which doesn't share the same mains ground. Would this be an issue?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
It could be, that could cause a floating ground between the units.

johnowenschina

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
So, what is normally done to fix a situation like this?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
So after doing a bit of research it appears that grounding is likely not the problem. I'll assume the cable is already run? Is the cable exposed, run underground, etc? The routers themselves are easily movable, could you bring the barn router to the house and verify that everything works when in close proximity? My first instinct on most networking issues is a cable problem. I assume this is a cable you terminated yourself and not a factory made cable. I'm kind of thinking aloud here, if the barn and house have different grounds then I assume there is no power run from the house to barn, correct? The reason I ask is to find out whether the ethernet cable is running alongside the power, that could cause interference and in many locales would be a violation of code. If all else fails I'd remove the connectors from the cable and crimp on new ones (assuming that you crimped them on in the first place) just to try and eliminate that as a source of the problem.

johnowenschina

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
Tried all the things you mention. I ran the cables myself, and tested the connections with an Ethernet tester, all 8 are connected and in the correct sequence. I ran it above ground, and put it inside a pvc conduit from the house to the barn (25 feet). I tested the router on short cables to make sure that all of my router configurations were correct and I have swapped the #2 and #3 routers, but no change. I am now running a new wire for the House to Barn and will put Router #2 at one end of the barn, and then add another cable for Router #3 at the other end of the barn. Hope it works. Using CAT6 cable.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
All of our routers by necessity conform to the ethernet spec so this should work given a good cable run.

Jerad Whitaker

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Try hooking another device in the barn to the cat6 cable.  This should tell you if you have a cable problem.  Cat6 connections are tricky to get right and sometimes a tester will say the connection is good, but it may only be good when you're holding it.

Kathy001

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:02 AM »
It could be.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:45:49 AM by Kathy001 »