Author Topic: RAID rebuild taking a long time  (Read 3807 times)

ayoung1969

• Calf
RAID rebuild taking a long time
« on: April 17, 2017, 03:49:36 AM »
Hi All,
I have a LS420D NAS drive with 2 x 3Tb disks set up a a RAID device.
One disk failed so I replaced it and then kicked off the process to recreate / rebuild the RAID.
I know this can take a long time to complete but how long is "too long" ?

It's been nearly 48 hours and it's not finished yet - in fact the progress report hasn't moved from 10% in about 30 hours.
The GUI isn't any more help as all it does is just show the "10% complete" window.

I'm reluctant to kill it off and restart it - just in case it really does take a long time (and maybe the progress bar on these is rubbish and it's going to jump from 10% to 100% in the space of a few seconds) - but i'm pretty sure it's failed.

Any advice on how I can really check the progress or what's the cleanest way to kill it ?

Thanks and regards,
Adam.

mkelty

• Calf
Re: RAID rebuild taking a long time
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »
Just curious, how long did it eventually take? I've not seen ANY answers to these questions yet. on day 3 of a blank disk conversion from an out of box RAID 1 to RAID 5

mkelty

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
So since nobody has answered this, I'll share what I learned...
 7 days

7 days to convert 2 blank 4TB RAID 1, add 2 blanks, set one to Hot Spare, and Convert to RAID 5

days.

mh1983

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »
Yipes, how painful. Sorry to hear it took so long. I'm sure this experience will help someone else going through the same issue.

Probably preformatting the drives would've sped it up, but hopefully you're up and running now and won't have to worry about a RAID rebuild for a long time!

fj1200

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 03:40:56 AM »
Thats a long time.  Mine is still resyncing after 2 days - so I may leave it runnning for a month or 2 to see how long it takes :o.  Although I need it before then!  I had a 24-disk Dell SAN that took 24 hours to build an array and thought that was a long time!

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 04:19:48 AM »
As example LS-QVL Marvell Kirkwood 4x 4TB Raid 5 needs 4 days.