Author Topic: Linkstation 210 3tb - MKV not supported?  (Read 4595 times)

Acebuffalo

• Calf
Linkstation 210 3tb - MKV not supported?
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »
Hello community, I have a question and major concern. I've been banging my head for two weeks now trying to get the obvious working, but maybe it doesn't actually work.

I'm streaming MKV videos from my Lonkstation to my Panasonic TV wirelessly. All of these MKV videos are various sizes, from 1gig to 15gig depending on the quality of the rip I wanted from my DVDs. These are all from a old WD cloud, transferred over. So I know they workd before.

The MKV videos play for a random amount of time then stop and then the Linkstation just starts playing the next video in the collection on the drive. All the MKVs are doing this.

I've looked through the twonky dlna server settings and found nothing unusual. But then I did the basic read and looked in the manual on page 72 and it DOES NOT say there is support for MKV files???

The LinkStation supports DLNA streaming of files with the extensions below.
Type
File Extensions
Video Files
mpe, mpeg, mpeg2, mpg, m2p, tts, m2ts, m2t, mts, m1v, m4v, mp4, mov, wmv, avi, divx, xvid, asf, dvr-ms, vob, 3gp, vdr, spts, tp, ts

How is this possible for a DLNA server? Or am I missing something....

Please help.

Acebuffalo

• Calf
Re: Linkstation 210 3tb - MKV not supported?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
Zero replies, no help.

I've spent two weeks trying to get MKVs to work with this Linkstation and my Panasnoc Viera TV. Remuxing, transcoding, changing the panasonic-viera.xml profile, nothing works. I can stream the same MKVs from the Linkstation to my old Xbox 260 and they play fine. So it's something to do with the Linstations Panasonic profile....

My old, now dead, WD Mycloud streamed the same MKVs to the same Panasonic Viera with zero issues.

Ready to retune this pile as I'm not seeing much support.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:00:09 PM by Acebuffalo »

monica66

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:08:16 AM »
 Some videos files like MKV, VOB, MTS, etc are not supported well by DLNA at the moment. In usual, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4 are the typical supported formats by DLNA. Have a try to get a tool to change MKV into DLNA supported formats.

Acebuffalo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:18:54 AM »
Some videos files like MKV, VOB, MTS, etc are not supported well by DLNA at the moment. In usual, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4 are the typical supported formats by DLNA. Have a try to get a tool to change MKV into DLNA supported formats.

I don't understand then why the WD My Cloud supports the MKV format fine. Trust me, I've been trying to convert the MKVs with many different tools, mkvmerge, xmedia recode, handbrake....the issue hear is no other container supports DTS so I'm stuck with not just Remuxing the MKVs, I have to recode the audio down to 5.1 AC3 which is average at best. Then the other problem is while the MKV cleanly supports fast forward, rewind, and pause...other containers in the DLNA stack don't.

Again, if the Buffalo Lonkstation has Twonky 7.1.1 streaming these files, and Twonky 7.1.1 clearly supports MKV, why don't they work with the Panasonic TVs? I'd like to see someone post a Panasonic_Viera.xml file solution, or maybe it's the transcoded.db file?

availablespace

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
Another way is to convert MKV to a more supported video format with this guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/mkv-panasonic-tv.html

Alieldat

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:59:18 AM »
Many players can't play MKV just as my PS4.  But I used a software to convert MKV to PS4 and it can be played on my PS4. After that, I have been using this software to make any format conversion. Except for video conversion, it supports audio conversion, I test it to convert DTS to MP3 for space saving.

mxffiles

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »
Many players can't play MKV just as my PS4.  But I used a software to convert Mxf to PS4 and it can be played on my PS4. After that, I have been using this software to make any format conversion. Except for video conversion, it supports audio conversion, I test it to convert DTS to MP3 for space saving.
            mxf converter free download to convert HD camcorder files.